• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instrumentation

Hi everyone. First off, I'm thrilled to have discovered this interactive course, and this community. I'm beginning with lesson 1, after a long, intense semester of college music theory and aural theory 2. We've been studying a lot about part-writing in general, mostly studying typical chorale harmonizations. I would love to learn about specifics regarding writing for various other instruments. I'm a piano and organ player, and know little about other instruments. In the introduction to this course, I read that instrumentation is only briefly touched on. I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any books or resources where I could read up on this subject.

Also, I have attempted to write my first little arrangement for string quartet from a Handel sarabande originally written for keyboard. I was going to share it with you, but I see that forum users are not permitted to use attachments here. Does anyone know of a way that I could share it with you for suggestions and/or feedback? I look forward to learning with you all, and I'm grateful to Northern Sounds for beginning this course.

Thanks again.

Re: Instrumentation

Hi Jessica,

Try setting up an account at http://www.NorthernSounds.Net

Welcome aboard!

Suburban NYC

Hi Jessica,

I would like to recommend to you Henry Mancini's "Sounds and Scores".

Although this book is 50 years old, what still makes it worth the price of admission is that most of the written examples have companion audio samples (all from Mancini recordings of the day).

This book is not a classical reference (it's somewhat aimed at commercial arranging), but there are elements of all genres in Mancini's beautiful music and much to be learned on arranging, instrumentation, and orchestration.

Check it out and welcome aboard!

Look for Alan Belkin Orchestration free at:

hanks everybody. The Mancini book sounds good. I'm a fan of his music too. I'll check out the link as well. Hope you all had good holidays.

Go Back to forum