• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with Vista and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Help with Vista and GPO

I know, I know...if you're stupid enough to get Vista, you deserve compatibility issues, but I didn't have the choice to "downgrade" to XP. SO. I am in serious need of help to get GPO talking to Overture, if possible. I have the 64 bit version of Vista, which I understand from other posts I dug up is why GPO Studio won't function correctly. I am relatively MIDI-ignorant, so my grasp on the whole thing is pretty tenuous. I do get the idea (in a very general way) of virtual MIDI cables being provided by LoopBe 30, but am clueless as to how to apply what little fuzzy understanding I have. What ports do I open on LoopBe? Can KONTAKT2 talk directly to Overture without the Studio (with LoopBe as a go between)? Is KONTAKT2 just an updated version of what I have on my CDs, or is it a "pony-up-the-dough" version? Can stress headaches make your eyeballs burst? I have all sorts of questions, but I don't really know which ones will get me where I need to be. Probably people who actually know something asking ME questions would be more efficacious.
    What I really, really, really need in a step-by-step "This is how you make it work, you fool!" I wouldn't even mind if you really called me a fool, as long as you also provide directions! Call me whatever the moderators allow, just help! This set of directions may exist somewhere already, if so, just point the way...
    Heartfelt thanks in advance,
    HB
    Vista 64-bit, Overture 3, 2004-era version of GPO (not sure what the actual version number is there)

Re: Help with Vista and GPO

I also had no choice except Vista when I got my last system, and I had a lot of trouble mostly with Sonar and Kontakt3 (GPO never acted up as far as I know).

To make a long and painful story shorter, after a lot of trouble-shooting I contacted Microsoft themselves and they simply sent me a copy of XP pro. They did it without a lot of fuss (i.e. it may be less painful to send XP than trying to fix your problem).

In my case I had a very explicit question on how to do something that Vista was not able to do (I think it was to change IRQ settings on my audio card...).

Anyway, a lot of people seem to have things working in Vista, so don't give up yet. But this might be a possible bail-out if nothing works.

Good luck.

Hi HB,

Vista32 here, (Jon's on 64 and he'll hopefully be chiming in too), but here's a few things which will hopefully get you started in the right direction:

1. The latest version of GPO (version3, running on KontaktPlayer 2.2.4) does not require Garritan Studio to run in any capacity. Studio was designed as a program to let you run the original GPO (Kontakt Player 1) as a standalone. Kontakt Player 2 (KP2) is intrinsically capable of this.

2. You should update to this latest version. It does work on Vista64 and contains various bugfixes and programming enhancements. To do this and retain the ability to use the old KP1 version as well, I recommend following the steps I detail here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...48&postcount=8

In Vista64, Studio's MIDI ports won't function properly (or even install) so you'll be limited to KP1 as a VST. If you don't care about KP1 just follow the steps until you finish getting KP2 up and running.

3. MIDI Communication: LoopBe's line is the virtual midi cables that I'm aware of which function in 64-bit. So, once you buy/download the trial and get it installed, you'll just need to hook Overture and KP2 standalone together and you should be off and running.
    From Overture, go to MIDI Output devices (under a toolbar menu labeled MIDI I/O devices or something similar) and select the first couple LoopBe ports as your only outputs. Set up the track window to output the instrument staves to these ports on discrete channels.
    In the KP2 standalone, go to File->Audio/MIDI->Midi and under inputs enable the ports which match the outputs from Overture. Kontakt will assign the first four enabled as Ports A-D in top-down order. Load a GPO patch and assign the right port/patch combination and you should be good to go!

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi HB,

Vista32 here, (Jon's on 64 and he'll hopefully be chiming in too), but here's a few things which will hopefully get you started in the right direction:
    Hello, Reegs,

Thanks so much for your help(!!!)...I think I am making progress!! I can get KP2 and Overture to talk, only I think they are speaking "Wounded Water Buffalo" or something similar. In the standalone and in Overture, I'm definitely getting sound, and the midi connection is there, but the sound is really, really... bad. Any ideas? The instruments are there, but very distorted.
    I will mention that 1) I wasn't given the option to do the KP22.2.4 update until after I had activated KP2, if that makes any difference, and 2)LoopBe protested that I was making an unacceptable loop and then I suppose shut itself down, after that I couldn't get Overture to play from KP2, though the standalone was still working, in it's wounded-water-buffalo sort of way. I don't know if I need to turn the 'shortcut detection' off, or if I just set it up wrong. Everything else seemed to go OK. Except the whole water buffalo thing.
    Very Gratefully,
    HB

Water buffalo, eh? Never heard that description before

Most likely you're experiencing a problem with your soundcard's buffer. In KP2's audio settings tab, adjust the latency slider upwards to give your system more time to process the audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Water buffalo, eh? Never heard that description before

Most likely you're experiencing a problem with your soundcard's buffer. In KP2's audio settings tab, adjust the latency slider upwards to give your system more time to process the audio.
    Many thanks Reegs and Jon!

The "water buffer-lo" (queue cybergroans) has lumbered off into the sunset, the slider fixed him right up. Just a couple more questions, if you would, and I'll let you get back to more heady and deep thoughts...
    I would like to load the Garritan Ambience plug-in and the cheapo Cubasis version that came with my CD's. Should I let the computer put them in default locations, or should, for example, Ambience be in the C:\program files\garritan\gpo kp2 library directory?
    Thanks in advance, O wise ones!
    HB

Go Back to forum