• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help - SL-1100 - Is it good for me?

Share/Bookmark

Help - SL-1100 - Is it good for me?

Hi,
    Asking for some quick input. I\'m a guitar player, and also own a couple of synths with non-weighted keyboards. I\'m new to sampling.

I found an SL-1100 for a price that I would be happy to pay, but want to know if it\'s a good controller for getting a lot of of my sample library. I\'m not that great at playing weighted keyboards, so this is an investment in the future, and I want it to be a good investment. My current keyboards do not sound as good playing my sampler as some of the MIDI files I get off the net for testing, so I know I need something...

Does this controller have enough control that when I learn to use it I\'ll be more limited by my ability to play and not by the capabiities of the controller itself?

Would I be better off to wait for something else to come along?

Thanks in advance for some quick answers.

With best regards,
    Mark

Re: Help - SL-1100 - Is it good for me?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
    Hi,
    ..I\'m a guitar player, ...

...so I know I need something...

Does this controller have enough control that when I learn to use it I\'ll be more limited by my ability to play and not by the capabiities of the controller itself?

Would I be better off to wait for something else to come along?

With best regards,
    Mark
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You\'re probably already aware of this instrument, but have you thought about a Ztar? If you\'re a guitar player in search of a controller, this is the only \'guitar\' controller that actually compares to traditional keyboard controllers. Hope I haven\'t offended any touchy guitar synth (pitch-to-voltage) players (they get miffed at me on midi guitar groups when I say that).

So, if you haven\'t already seen one, try: http://catalog.com/starrlab/

(Harvey has just built some butt-ugly white models with \'B\' cups and they\'re displaying on the website - rest assured, you can order a cool-looking model (and I\'m told the \'B\' cups are fun).

Hi,
    Not at all offended.

I do know about the Ztar as well as some of the other more name brand guitar type controllers out there, and have played a number of them. However, I really do like playing keyboards!

I\'m not going to tell anyone it\'s my instrument, but it is where I enjoy composing, and the range of notes playable on a standard keyboard is, at times, a great change from the confines of a guitar.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

I use a SL-1100 myself - very cool Keyboard.
    88 keys are great for Gigastudio.

cheers

Scarbee

------------------
    Visit www.scarbee.com and check out the demoes from The Scarbee Bass Libraries

SCARBEE,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I\'m watching this thread almost realtime right now because the price I found is quite nice.

And, hey, I really like your bass libraries! I haven\'t purchased one yet, but I know I will soon!

Thanks,
    Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Knecht (edited 01-29-2002).]

Here is a different perspective:

I am a trained jazz and classical pianist, so I love hammer-action controllers and I personally would not want to be without one.

But for someone whose main instrument is guitar and who will be using the keyboard as a composing tool and to trigger string, woodwind, drum, organ and synth textures, a non-weighted synth action is best. In fact, it can be a real chore sequencing strings and drums with a piano style controller! Try trigering a multivelocity drum kit with a piano controller and then try the same with a synth and you will see the difference. I personally use a Roland GK pickup on my Strat to trigger guitar patches, a cheapo set of electronic drums for drum samples and a yamaha wx-5 for string and breath instruments.

It is fun and very, very, expressive!

Of course if you want the piano feel and the 88-key range, then go for the Fatar. (They have less expensive controllers that are also 88 key hammer action and good!)

Good luck,

David Lawrence
    aka \"leadbelly\"

Hi leadbelly,
    Some great comments. Thanks.

Well, I went for it and bought the 1100. I paid a little less than $500, so my guess is that I won\'t lose much money if I don\'t like it and decide to part with it on Ebay.

And I won\'t be getting rid of my trusty old DX-7 for exactly the reasons you raise.

Thanks,
    Mark

nice topic!

Mark, I also have DX-7. Beware of its velocity limitations... Not the entire range (0 - 127) is supported and I believe it only spits out a small set of velocity values...

Don\'t loose this one on eBay. It\'s history! ;-)

Peter

Hi Mark

First of all I purchased the Fatar SL 1100 and have not looked back since! Its excelent for samples and triggering. I have 2 Synths, Roland XP30, Yamaha SY77 and even though it was weight sensitive and had aftertouch etc. the samples did not sound that good to me due to the Synths internal functions and effects interfering. I wanted to trigger my samples with no influence of synth type triggering or interference. For this reason I turned to Cotroller Functions only. Yes one can use these synths and switch of Locals and Paramaters, but I do not want to deal with that everytime.

I bought my SL110 based on personal taste and Scarbees Recomendations. Here is a link on my experience under Caveman, but also read the other users concerns and advice.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001670.html

Bruse Richardson works for Pro Rec and Scarbee develops the Bass Libraries, they both like Fatar.After all Kurzwell uses Fatar Keyboards.

Even though the Fatar controller does not have as much Midi Control Functions as Synths out there the Action for Piano, and Controlling of Samples work wonderful.

This is but my positive experience with using the Fatar SL 1100.

Good Luck!

Peter,
    The DX-7 is a bit of rock history, and for me it\'s light touch is great for just fooling around. I\'d never sell it!

caveman,
    Great comments. Thanks!

The SL-1100 is home and working. I\'m dealing with a couple of the typical Guitar Center problems, but at least it\'s nothing really major. They said the unit was new, except I find the warranty card has already been sent in. (Only 1/2 of it was in the box!) Also the power supply unit is a bit munged up, so I\'ll look into getting them to replace it.

Now, on to learning to use some new technology. Already I can hear improvements on my low cost East West Grand Piano sample playing through GigaStudio. I wish I would have found the Digital Shootout page prior to spending that $35, but it\'s a pretty low cost mistake.

I need to find the posts here that might teach me a bit about making this controller and that library work better together.

Thanks everyone for your help.

With best regards,
    Mark

Go Back to forum