• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some issues with Omnisphere?

Share/Bookmark

Some issues with Omnisphere?

Hi,

1. The first thing I would like others to check is if you open up the patch browser and look for "winds of change". How many patches are there with the same exact name? I'm showing 2 patches. That's weird. Two patches with exactly the same name? They sound pretty similar but not exactly. One is from Atmosphere and one came with Omni.

2. This has been mentioned before. I have a session with 1 Omni divided into several channels and some other audio channels I've recorded. All together taking up 1.47GB RAM (I have 2GB). All is playing fine for days. Then I start browsing patches and soundsources for an hour trying out different sounds and showing off to the wife which results in a seriously impressed expression on her face. I then close the Omni GUI and want to play the session that was playing fine and there are lots and lots of cracks and pops. I need to close the session and open up it up again and all is working fine again. This is the memory leakage thingy that people have been talking about for months now.

Spectrasonics, I hope you're reading this (I've also sent an email to tech support). This is not a problem with my system.
    Session working fine -> I start browsing for an hour or so in Omni -> Try to play the session again and hear lots of pops -> close everything and open up again and all is working fine again = Memory Leakage.

Best Regards...

Re: Some issues with Omnisphere?

cant help you with your memory leakage probs as i never expirienced that phenomena but regarding the patchname double-thats correct
    there are two patches with the exact same name.
    probably about 8 years between the making of the atmo one and the omni one
    and done by 2 different sounddesigners.
    With 2000 patches that can happen. I have reused a couple of cool patchnames in several projects over the years-sometimes unintentionally sometimes intentionally-no big deal.
    Why you think they sound similiar is totally beyond me though.
    These are two completely different patches and they do sound different indeed!

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    Hi,
    2. This has been mentioned before. I have a session with 1 Omni divided into several channels and some other audio channels I've recorded. All together taking up 1.47GB RAM (I have 2GB). All is playing fine for days. Then I start browsing patches and soundsources for an hour trying out different sounds and showing off to the wife which results in a seriously impressed expression on her face. I then close the Omni GUI and want to play the session that was playing fine and there are lots and lots of cracks and pops. I need to close the session and open up it up again and all is working fine again. This is the memory leakage thingy that people have been talking about for months now.
    I don't know enough about coding to know if something is a memory leak or not. What I can say is that it might be your host app not Omnisphere.

For example, I use Logic and Logic does exactly what you describe with ANY soft synth - if you are near the CPU/RAM capacity of the machine. In other words Logic has a way of managing CPU/RAM where by it shifts things around to optimize the load. So if you are near the limit of the CPU/RAM, and you change something (a setting or patch) Logic might take that opportunity to redistribute the load - but sometimes that redistribution doesn't work as well. I don't know the technical side of this - and I might be wrong in my explanation here. My statements here are from observation of what happens with Logic with ANY soft synth (not just Omnisphere) when CPU/RAM is near full load. Reopening the session may again redistribute the load, only this time more successfully. These are all things I have experienced many times with Logic, with various soft synths (even Logic's built in ones) on various machines. So I'm not convinced it has anything to do with Omnisphere or memory leaks.

I also find that with Logic, if I'm on the edge of CPU/RAM load, where its cracking up - if I play through the song a bit, its often starts to work better - sometimes the CPU/RAM completely coping after a while. So it seems clear that Logic is dynamically redistributing the CPU/RAM load on the fly. I think this may explain why sometimes, making a seemingly insignificant change in a patch can cause the CPU to glitch.

I don't know what host app you are using, but perhaps this is what you are experiencing. It may be nothing to do with Omnisphere, it may be that your CPU/RAM are near capacity and your host app, trying to cope, is what is changing things.

Hi,
    Hans - thanks for checking the double name in the browser. I thought they sounded similar but that was based on my memory alone. I could and probably am wrong about this. I think they should change one of the patche's names so that we don't have doubles which may become confusing.

Antiphones - I use Cubase Studio 4.1.2. I tried to let song play through to see if it got better. It didn't.

The problem is that any changes applied to patch names at this point will lead to potential conflicts for people who used one of them in their songs or multis as these will search for a sound that is then no longer present.
    Since it is only one double i think we can live with it.
    But i agree that it is something to watch out for for any future library updates.

good luck with your memory probs and
    Namaste
    Hans

Hans,
    I wrote an email to Spectrasonics about these issues.
    I hope they get back to me sometime with a reply.
    If they do, I'll post it here for others to read as well.

Namaste to you too...

Go Back to forum