• Register
  • Help

Topic: questions about MOTU Ethno Instrument

questions about MOTU Ethno Instrument

Has any one used this synth? I don't use loops so I'm wondering if the solo instruments are really good. Is it still worth it when you discard the loops?

As a comparison point, I own EWQL RA, and I'm a bit dissapointed by it.

Thank you.
    News & Music here.

Re: questions about MOTU Ethno Instrument

I own MOTU Ethno Instrumnet. It has some nice multisampled instrumnets in it but I don't think it would be as comprehensive as RA or Ethnoworld 4. There are some really cool videos online of Jordan Rudess playing it. Check them out. You won't find a super detailed ehru, or duduk but you will find some nice playable instruments. Some of the extras on the disc like the pads are really quite nice. I do wish it had more keyswitchable instruments and maybe more variations but all in all it is a "musical" sounding instrument. I also wish Motu would upgrade it and add more content. I don't really use the loops. The interface isreally cool and you can pick an instrument by genre or location. The manual is also nice as it explains a lot about each instrument.

If you are dissapointed with RA you might want to look at Ethnoworld 4. I used Ethnoworld 2 at my last job and there is some really nice stuff in it. Also chack out Bela D's Spiritual winds collection. Really detailed, playable instruments at a nice price point.

Good luck!

"Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Victoria, Canada

A Play version of RA is due out shortly. Ethno, RA and Ethno World 4 are programs that compliment each other, they have different instruments and IMHO work well as a team rather than one just being superior to the other. I use all of them and a selection is made based on what I want to do and what sound or instrument I'm looking for. You mention only RA and Ethno, but you may also want to take a look at Ethno World 4. Perhaps decide what instruments you want and then see which 'one' meets your needs. I probably use Ethno World 4 the most, if that means anything, but then again I use it in combination with numerous other software packages as well. Perhaps you are disappointed in RA just because it doesn't contain the instruments you require?...........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

I have Ra, Ethno, and the Motu Ethno... if you're disappointed with Ra, your next step should be EthnoWorld, which is chock-full of great stuff. the Motu instrument certainly has its place, and some very nice built-in reverbs and stuff like that, but is a little bit limited. Now, if you have some kind of online coupon you could use to get the MOTU (which normally is pretty inexpensive anyway, I think), then I'd go ahead and splurge on it. But money spent on EthnoWorld4 is money better-spent.

Even though I own it, I wouldn't recommend MOTU Ethno. The instruments are not deep-sampled enough, and the fact that it's really complicated to set up a bunch of phrases from the same instrument to jam with is ridiculous and a big mistake.

I have Motu Ethno and I do not like the samples compared to RA or Ethnoworld. I think they are thin sounding and do not sit well in a mix without a lot of tweaking. With that said I still use one or two things from it. Also, if I was playing live, like Jordan Rudess does in the videos, I would use it. The keyswitching and range settings are easy to setup
    Dave Cebrowski
    DCWAVE Productions

Thanks a lot guys for your opinion(s) !
    News & Music here.

Go Back to forum