• Register
  • Help

Topic: Promenade Wagram

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Promenade Wagram - "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won". ...

PROMENADE WAGRAM - 4 min

An old retired French general takes a walk in central Paris in 1820.
    Before he enters a park at Place de la Concorde a flashback brings him back to his days of glory and honour.
    At least, that's what he was told by his commander at Wagram. He was in the cavallerie de "La Grande Armée", taking orders from Napoleon Bonaparte.

movie (French Cavalry, 8:30 min into the clip) ,with Rod Steiger as Napoleon.
    The music is by Nino Rota.

In this movie clip we see Napoleon, with severe stomach problems loosing his battle at Waterloo.
    General Ney goes bezerk and sends his men, most of The French Cavalry to an instant an fatal death, they are gunned down by the hidden Brittish infantry.
    Wellington, then almost defeated, is saved by the arriving Black-Coated Prussian Cavalry lead by General Von Blücher.

Re: Promenade Wagram

A real hear-tugger, Fredrik -- you've done a wonderful
    job of capturing the emotion and mood of the scene
    in this.

I think perhaps I might slow down just a bit in some
    of the latter material... but the melancholic reflection
    of the first part is very well done.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I enjoyed this piece. I thought opening introspective section portrayed the mood and story excellently. The second section makes a good contrast with the first carrying on the story.

I was expecting a return to the opening section - the ending seemed a little premature to me.

Herb

Cool Re: Promenade Wagram

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    A real hear-tugger, Fredrik -- you've done a wonderful
    job of capturing the emotion and mood of the scene
    in this.

I think perhaps I might slow down just a bit in some
    of the latter material... but the melancholic reflection
    of the first part is very well done.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi again, David!

Thanks for your always inspiring and reflective receptivness!

In this piece I wanted to create a kind of a emotional crescendo,
    going from a slow nostalgia to a different and heroic mood that has a faster pace,
    describing the fast galoping of the mighty "Cavallerie Francaise!"

Please watch the movie clip if you have missed it! movie (French Cavallerie at 8:30 min into the film clip), with Rod Steiger as Napoleon. Enjoy! Music by the genius, Nino Rota.
    He is one of my favorites among film composers!

Fred

Thumbs up Re: Promenade Wagram

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    I enjoyed this piece. I thought opening introspective section portrayed the mood and story excellently. The second section makes a good contrast with the first carrying on the story.

I was expecting a return to the opening section - the ending seemed a little premature to me.

Herb
    You are right on the money about the end, Herb!

I have actually been sitting almost throughout the night to expand my finale.
    I will soon be back with a larger version of this one!

Watch movie also!
    Movie (French Cavallerie at 8:30 min into the film clip), with Rod Steiger as Napoleon. Enjoy! Music by the genius,
    Nino Rota. He is one of my favorites among film composers!

Thanks for your inspiration!

Fred

Fred

There are some very nice instrumentations in this. In other words your choices of instruments were very descriptive.

I like the spend of the second half, but I think the transistion could have been a little slower.

Actually, I like the second half better.

Nice piece

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Cool Re: Promenade Wagram - "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won". ..

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Fred

There are some very nice instrumentations in this. In other words your choices of instruments were very descriptive.

I like the spend of the second half, but I think the transistion could have been a little slower.

Actually, I like the second half better.

Nice piece

Ron
    Hi again, Ron!

Yes! I had a lot of fun with the instrumentation!

One thing I also enjoyed, was to start off with a kind of a chamber piece that eventually grows more and more and becomes orchestral sounding instead!

The chosen tempo and rythmic pattern symbolizes the fast riding French cavallry. I hope you enjoyed the movie clip also, Ron!
    I have the movie with Rod Steiger. It's a masterpiece, and the music score by Nino Rota really adds to the epic drama. There's so many other great actors aswell in this historical movie like, Christopher Plummer(Wellington), Orson Welles (Louis XVIII) etc... the dialogues in this movie are witty and entertaining. Well, the whole movie is sort of available on youtube, so go on and have a happy Waterloo, lol!

My story about the old retired general is about another battle though, the battle of Wagram, which was Napoleon's biggest victory at the time. I chose this clips first of all because I wanted to show scenes of fast cavalry!

quote from movie: "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won". ...

part4
    part5
    part6

Enjoy the music by Nino Rota!

As always your music fits the story well.

It was enjoyable.

Well done.

Phil

Go Back to forum