• Register
  • Help

Topic: score a cartoon :please help

Share/Bookmark

score a cartoon :please help

Hi ,some of you can point me in the right direction on how score a video ?

Let me explain:A friend of mine have realized a short animation movie and need a score .

My notation software is notion music and overture,and
    fast i realized a couple of musical ideas and started scoring with notion , but....ahhhhh , no way to see the video playing along the score nor synchronize some video events with some musical passages.

Any idea how to see and syncronize a video with the software i own or let me know the software i need to syncronize audio and video without leaving
    notion?

Thank you in advance
    massimo

Re: score a cartoon :please help

Overture has time code output now, can be used with ChainGang.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Hallo Hannes thank you very much.!

I have made a google search but nothing.
    What is Chaingang?(shame on me)........
    massimo

What is Chaingang?(shame on me)........
    Found it :better to do a northernsounds search........Thank you
    massimo

Hi Dkala, You need a sequencing software that will let you have a tempo as precise as three points after the decimal. So lets say your tempo is a quarter note = 97, in animation scoring you need your sequencing to be as exact as say a quarter note = 97.345. I know it sounds absud, here is a hint as to why. Motion pictures and "cartoons" used to exhist because the human eye was not all that quick. Think about it, film is a bunch of frames going past a light source. That's the human eye - the human ear is much much quicker. Have you ever seen an old Japanese film that was filmed at a different frame rate, and the voices don't match the action? You will get the same problems if your sequencer is not precise enough. You are starting out with one of the most difficult jobs in film scoring - animation. Animation is more difficult, because you have to match more physical "hit points". You need to be part Foley artist, part composer, and part mathmetician, to pull it off well. -I use digital performer and love it!
    Sometimes a name isn't enough -SMPTE

I use digital performer and at times protools. What you do with those programs is import a quicktime movie and then import the sound from that movie. Then you're in business. It's locked in. Logic also works like that.
    Just convert your animation to quicktime and have fun. Personally, I don't use finale as a compositional tool. I prefer to play using a sequencer, look at my ideas and then refine them. It feels more organic to me that way. You'll be surprised how much seems to come naturally as you play. Good luck.

You could also look into using the NTempo feature with Notion. It really opens up a whole new world in regards to film scoring and lining up your composition with the visual organically. I'm not one for sequencer work....a bit too involved and non-musical.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions....

kyle@notionmusic.com

-Kyle

So step entering parts in a notation program is musical, but playing them in real time into a sequencer is "non-musical" ?

I am sorry, no disrespect intended, but that is just a silly statement.

Visit my website and listen. Virtually all of that stuff was composed in Notator and then later subsequent versions of Logic /Logic Pro.

Whatever you think of my compositions, is "non-musical" the phrase that comes to mind?

Honestly, folks, THINK before you post.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    So step entering parts in a notation program is musical, but playing them in real time into a sequencer is "non-musical" ?

I am sorry, no disrespect intended, but that is just a silly statement.

Visit my website and listen. Virtually all of that stuff was composed in Notator and then later subsequent versions of Logic /Logic Pro.

Whatever you think of my compositions, is "non-musical" the phrase that comes to mind?

Honestly, folks, THINK before you post.
    Jay, I have to agree with you here. With no click or time correction on, a sequencer simply records your musical thoughts. How is that non-musical?

Overture has time code output now, can be used with ChainGang.
    RNCSOFT.COM
    RNCSOFT COM

Go Back to forum