• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio: Abandon or Integrate?

Share/Bookmark

Question GigaStudio: Abandon or Integrate?

Is there benefit in moving forward with GigaStudio if one does NOT already have GigaStudio up and running, and has no legacy GS projects they need to support?

I plan on taking advantage of the Kontakt 3 Crossgrade pricing before the end of the year. Many feel, however, that GS still offers advantages over other platforms. Despite TASCAM's abandonment of GS, with $400 invested in GS3, plus additional hundreds in GS3 sound libraries, I am considering building a dedicated GS3 or GS4 machine.

A stable GS3 machine could be built relatively inexpensively utilizing (now) older, proven components from the "GS3 POLL: Systems that WORK" thread.

A GS4 64-bit machine would require a more substantial outlay. However, the stats for GS4 in the "GS4 POLL: Systems that WORK" thread are impressive (“a quantum leap compared to GS3”).

I have read of issues even with the GS4 dongle (http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/19522.aspx). And of course, many feel it is buggy throughout.

• Does GS offer advantages over other platforms such that a dedicated build might be worthwhile, or does it make more sense to completely abandon GS in favor of a supported platform?

• If GS does offer advantages, which would you go with, GS3 or GS4, and why? If GS4, x64 or Vista?

• Recommended MOBUs/CPUs?

• 64-bit Question: does the presence of 8GB+ of RAM render hard drive speed less important?

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Re: GigaStudio: Abandon or Integrate?

On January 1, all support ends. If you already have a number of Giga libraries it might sense to move forward. But otherwise, all the major developers have moved on with with their own virtual instruments. And, no new libraries will be produced for a discontinued format.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

I second what peter said, with one exception:

A GS4 machine, barring issues with dongles (haven't had any, haven't read about any) will ensure that you do not experience authorization problems down the road, since your dongle is your permanent authorization.

If you'd be willing to build a 32-bit system for GS3, I'd consider making that a 32-bit GS4 system for the above reason. My experience with that app on the machine I originally bought for GS3 has been that it is just as good as version 3.

The GS4-64-bit option is harder for me to vouch for, as I haven't used it on anything but a 32-bit machine.

Good luck with your decision.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by peter269 View Post
    On January 1, all support ends.
    So they say. It really ended in July.

(peter,I still need the info from your pm regarding Tascam's marketing director)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMcCulloh View Post
    Is there benefit in moving forward with GigaStudio if one does NOT already have GigaStudio up and running, and has no legacy GS projects they need to support?

I plan on taking advantage of the Kontakt 3 Crossgrade pricing before the end of the year. Many feel, however, that GS still offers advantages over other platforms. Despite TASCAM's abandonment of GS, with $400 invested in GS3, plus additional hundreds in GS3 sound libraries, I am considering building a dedicated GS3 or GS4 machine.

A stable GS3 machine could be built relatively inexpensively utilizing (now) older, proven components from the "GS3 POLL: Systems that WORK" thread.

A GS4 64-bit machine would require a more substantial outlay. However, the stats for GS4 in the "GS4 POLL: Systems that WORK" thread are impressive (“a quantum leap compared to GS3”).

I have read of issues even with the GS4 dongle (http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/19522.aspx). And of course, many feel it is buggy throughout.

• Does GS offer advantages over other platforms such that a dedicated build might be worthwhile, or does it make more sense to completely abandon GS in favor of a supported platform?

• If GS does offer advantages, which would you go with, GS3 or GS4, and why? If GS4, x64 or Vista?

• Recommended MOBUs/CPUs?

• 64-bit Question: does the presence of 8GB+ of RAM render hard drive speed less important?

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
    As for GS4 don't waste your money. It is no longer supported. It's a discontinued product or a "legacy" product.

Stick with GS3, it can still be purchased. GVI is pretty good.

Since any Gigastudio product can be a crapshoot, I go with what is already working for you.

If Windows 7 is good enough for most people to move away from XP, you'll have to find a new sampler anyway.

All of my machines can run GS3 or GVI, not one of them can run GS4 because it conflicts with Kontakt.

If you want GS4 that bad maybe I'll put mine on ebay.

I have GS3 running on 2 pcs. Both are amd 64 4000+ single core on msi neo2 platinum mother boards, with 3gb ram, and I'm positive Kontakt couldn't give me anywhere near the same performance or ability to load so many instruments on these machines.

I'd need to build something a lot stronger to even come close.

Go Back to forum