• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Orchestration Challenge #19!!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Garritan Orchestration Challenge #19!!!

Everyone...

It's time for Garritan Orchestration Challenge #19!!!

As the winner of the previous challenge, I'm privileged to provide the next melody for Challenge #18. I REALLY wanna see this melody orchestrated in the diverse ways that appear every Challenge. Here are the files.

MID | MP3 | PDF

Sorry this is so close to the holidays. Could've posted this sooner -- a mixture of indecision (putting it so close to the holidays; RustyCrook talked me into it), computer problems on the computer with Sibelius and, of course, procrastination. We should probably push the deadline a little farther forward. My suggestion for the deadline is January 28th, which is about a little more than seven weeks, but it's up for discussion.

Please submit your entries to danieljbayot(at)gmail.com. (Replace the "(at)" with "@".)

Have fun!!!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: Garritan Orchestration Challenge #19!!!

Sounds a bit like the Inspector Gadget theme ...

Yikes, all those time sig changes... this'll be fun!!

Many thanks!!

p.s. wrong number in the picture there?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    p.s. wrong number in the picture there?
    Oopsie. :x I'll fix that.
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

It's the first time I want to make an entry for this orchestration challenge (after 19 challenges, it's quite late eh?). I wanted to know the limitations as: it must be all GPO instruments? Or can we use even other libraries with GPO? And how much is the max lenght for the orchestration?

Best,

Andrea.
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

There's really no max length, though many entries are typically only about 2-4 minutes. So far these challenges we've restricted it to only Garritan products (GPO, JABB, Steinway, etc) to keep the playing field somewhat even. (And we're doing it on a Garritan sponsored forum, so it seems only fair. )

Here are the guidelines we've been using.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Ok, thank you very much! I'll be working on this for next weeks.

Best regards,

Andrea.
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Maria Ottavin View Post
    Ok, thank you very much! I'll be working on this for next weeks.

Best regards,

Andrea.
    Can't wait to hear your entry!!

A wonderful challenge! Thanks Daniel. -- Ken

This Orchestration Challenge is really a neat on-going thing here at The Forum. I'm hoping I can squeeze in time to work with this nifty theme Daniel has cooked up for us.

And I want to point out that there is actually precedence for the sparing use of instruments outside of the Garritan library family. The same rules that are posted in The Listening Room apply to this, that what is asked for is music which has been "substantially" created with Garritan instruments.

Last year I managed to win this Challenge twice, and I know that in at least one of my entries, I sprinkled in non-Garritan elements, like audio clips and Sound Fonts.

Obviously the entires should be 90%+ Garritan, but to be fair, I wanted to point out that it's already been established that the judicious use of outside sound sources is acceptable.

Have fun, everyone!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum