Professional Orchestration is the first multi-volume orchestration series put out by an American publisher, and it's been endorsed by winners of the Academy, Grammy, EMMY and G.A.N.G. awards. All books are supported with video of live orchestral performances of a majority of the works quoted at http://alexanderpublishing.com/categ...nline-library/ where even more study resources are available.

Single titles include:
http://www.truespec.com/professional...c-124_166.html

Volume 1: Solo Instruments and Instrumentation Notes
Volume 2A: Orchestrating the Melody Within the String Section
Volume 2B: Orchestrating the Melody Within the Woodwinds and Brass Sections (ships mid-January, see pre-order pricing)
Professional Orchestration Sketchbook: Unruled
Professional Orchestration Sketchbook: Ruled

PROFESSIONAL ORCHESTRATION BUNDLES
These bundles are only available from www.truespec.com. These packages include the Professional Mentor Workbook (PDF), String Positions workbook (PDF), downloadable DRM-free MP3s that can be played on any MP3 player, and through the courtesy of the Vienna Symphonic Library and composer Jay Bacal, MP3s and MIDI files for each solo instrument to help you build your MIDI mock-up skills by teaching you MIDI editing.

Ultimate Learning Package
Was $198.95. Now $99.00
Click here for all PDF/Downloadable package and price.

• Professional Orchestration Volume 1 - Retail Value - $69.95
  • 12 Hours of downloadable Digital Rights Management Free MP3s covering a majority of the examples - Retail Value (compared to iTunes and other vendors with DRM-free MP3s) - $89.00
  • Professional Mentor Workbook (PDF) - Retail Value - $24.95
  • Strings Positions Booklet in 4 Color (PDF) - Retail Value - $14.95
  • Downloadable 13 MP3s with Matching MIDI Files of Solo Instruments teaching you MIDI Mock-up skills courtesy the Vienna Symphonic Library! - Bonus!

PLATINUM LEARNING PACKAGE
http://www.truespec.com/professional...age-p-956.html
was $276.07 now $119.00!

• Professional Orchestration Volume 1 - Retail Value - $69.95
  • 12 Hours of downloadable Digital Rights Management Free MP3s covering a majority of the examples - Retail Value (compared to iTunes and other vendors with downloadable DRM-free MP3s) - $89.00
  • NEW! An extra downloadable 78 tracks of DRM-free MP3s giving an average 20-minute concert for these solo instruments: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, French horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, violin, viola, cello, bass, harp and percussion. Retail Value - $77.22
  • Professional Mentor Workbook (PDF) - Retail Value - $24.95
  • Strings Positions Booklet in 4 Color (PDF) - Retail Value - $14.95
  • Downloadable 13 MP3s with Matching MIDI Files of Solo Instruments teaching you MIDI Mock-up skills courtesy the Vienna Symphonic Library! - Bonus!

ULTIMATE LEARNING PACKAGE
was $309.80 now is $169.00!
http://www.truespec.com/professional...ge-p-1113.html

In one AMAZING value priced package you get:

• Professional Orchestration Volume 1: Solo Instruments and Instrumentation Notes (800 pages!) - value $69.95
  • Professional Orchestration Volume 2A: Orchestrating the Melody Within the String Section (596 pages!) - value $59.95
  • Downloadable complete DRM-free Downloadable MP3 audio package for Volumes 1 and 2A (nearly 20 HOURS of music) - value - $140
  • The Professional Mentor Workbook for Volume 1 (PDF) - value $24.95
  • The Strings Position Booklet (PDF) - value $14.95
  • Complete downloadable MIDI Mock-up package with MP3s and MIDI files courtesy Jay Bacal and the Vienna Symphonic Library

ENDORSEMENTS

Professional Orchestration Volume 1

The best orchestration book since Forsyth.
Jerry Goldsmith
Academy and Emmy Award Winning Composer

Professional Orchestration offers more opportunities to see and hear the combinations which formerly could only be imagined.
Bruce Broughton
Emmy Award Winning Composer

Every time I open this book I learn something new.
Paul Thomson
Synesthesia (UK)

Professional Orchestration Volume 2A
I would highly recommend this book to any student or working professional wishing to learn or expand their knowledge of orchestration. If you intend to work professionally the skills imparted by the studies presented here will be of enormous benefit and will give you a professional advantage for your entire career.
Garry Schyman
Award Winning Composer, BioShock

With Professional Orchestration 2A, Peter Alexander has done a very
good job of making the various doublings and unisons within the
strings section clear, so that you can readily understand what's going
on, even in some of the more complex examples presented. I was
particularly pleased to see a starting basic section on divisi with
enough information to get the reader thinking and listening, without
delving too much into the finer points.

I think that the choice of musical examples is excellent, and no
composer who wishes to write orchestral music should neglect to know
the scores for these pieces.

This book will be extremely useful, especially to sample based
composers, either striving for improved realism with their
orchestrations, or who wish to transfer their MIDI compositions to a
live ensemble, so I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Daryl Griffith
Conductor, Composer
Orchestrator, Young Visiters (BAFTA winner), Prime Suspect (BAFTA
winner), Harry Potter VI.

A great publication! You perfectly met the needs of so many musicians - it's an incredibly valuable source of knowledge! I like also very much its clear structure and the way you explain complex things. A "must" not only for students, but for every musician dealing with samples and "orchestral sound".
Peter Siedlaczek
Advanced Orchestra, Classical Choirs, String Essentials

As a music educator and practicing composer, nothing is more important to the quality of a composition than the art of orchestration. The subtle combination of instrumental timbres has the ability to make or break a score. A properly orchestrated piece can evoke emotion and take the listener to another place. It has the ability to transcend to a new plain; where beauty, love, agony and joy all co-exist in perfect harmony.

For me, orchestration has always been one of my strong points, cultivated over many years of score study and professional application. There is nothing quite like the feeling one gets when standing in front of an orchestra, listening to a hundred musicians bring your hard work and labor to life. It truly is a life changing experience.

Peter Alexander’s book, Professional Orchestration 2A: Orchestrating the Melody within the String Section is a unique approach to the subject of orchestration.

It focuses on groupings within the strings, instead of the traditional “This instrument sounds good with that one” approach. It gives the reader the ability to understand how to accomplish the big, lush sounds of master composers such as Strauss, Mahler and Moussorgsky, without the need to scour countless scores and recordings. The many full page orchestral excerpts and MP3 examples perfectly depict the technique that is being described by the text itself.

Another aspect of the book that I thought was unique and extremely useful was the incorporation of the “electronic orchestra”. The diminished availability of professional orchestras and the proliferation of affordable computers and software have lead to the rise of the MIDI orchestra. Software such as Garritan’s Personal Orchestra, Quantum Leap’s Symphonic Orchestra and Mark of the Unicorn’s Symphonic Instrument have opened up new and exciting possibilities for the professional and the hobbyist alike. The book’s included scores and MIDI mock-up techniques give the orchestrator a chance to obtain true orchestral sound and color through practical exercises and real world applications. This feature alone should make this book a must have for all musicians.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the text and attempting the MIDI mock-ups. This book mirrors my own approach to MIDI orchestration and I find it a very useful tool. I will recommend this book to anyone who is serious about their musical education and who wants to achieve the highest standards from their compositions and orchestrations as possible. I can’t wait to see the next volume.

Jonathon Cox
Composer
Lecturer of Music at Ohio Northern University and Muskingum College