• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: O.T. Need help with Mozilla Firefox...

Share/Bookmark

O.T. Need help with Mozilla Firefox...

All,

Can someone tell me how to set up the Mozilla Firefox web browser so that website mp3 music files will "stream" instead of automatically downloading when I click on them? I have always been able to do this with the Microsoft Internet Explorer, but I want to start using Mozilla exclusively.

I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: O.T. Need help with Mozilla Firefox...

In Firefox:

Windows/Linux: Click Tools then Options
    Mac: Click Firefox then Preferences

Once the Options/Preferences window is open, click on Applications and scroll down to MP3 (there will be more than one, my computer lists 4). Change the Action by clicking on the action for each MP3 type to Always Ask.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Install this plugin, and you will be able to hear trough windows media inside firefox:

http://port25.technet.com/pages/wind...-download.aspx

Thanks, Y'all. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

After reading Tony's post warning about new problems with IE, I jumped in to try Firefox for the first time. It's looking OK so far.

BUT, this advice from CJPro hasn't worked for me. When I go the Applications tab as described here, MP3 isn't on the list. - ??

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    After reading Tony's post warning about new problems with IE, I jumped in to try Firefox for the first time. It's looking OK so far.

BUT, this advice from CJPro hasn't worked for me. When I go the Applications tab as described here, MP3 isn't on the list. - ??

Randy B.
    I couldn't find it either. I installed the QuickTime player and it works OK except for the fact that it still downloads the mp3 files. It does start playing while the file is downloading. I really don't want to download mp3 files and I still seek a way to "stream" them only. I can do that with Microsoft's Internet Explorer but I want to discontinue use of IE.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I have it, and I am not sure how it originally got there. I think it happened when I actually played a file with the plugin installed. I will do a little research at the Mozilla site.

Try this first.

Then this.

Do this as well. Go to an MP3 file and right-click on it. Choose Properties and change the "Open with" to Quicktime. That might help give Firefox a clue in what to do.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

If you go to Tools > Options, select the Applications tab and set the action for MP3 to Quicktime Plugin, MP3s should load into the plugin in the browser window.

Unless the website is specifically set to stream, it won't actually stream but will download the file to your temp folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    If you go to Tools > Options, select the Applications tab and set the action for MP3 to Quicktime Plugin, MP3s should load into the plugin in the browser window.
    They can't do this because MP3 is not showing up as an option. The post above is to get Firefox to recognize MP3 as a file needing an application association.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

My own music website is set up to "stream" music but when I click on a file, Mozilla downloads it instead of just playing it. I have configured Mozilla correctly, according to the instructions above and the directions on the Mozilla website.

Thanks, All. I will keep working with it.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum