• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: quote of the day

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb OT: quote of the day

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

- Thomas Edison, American Inventor, 1847-1931
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Re: OT: quote of the day

Last time I saw opportunity it really looked terrible... it should buy some new clothes... I told it to do something with its life instead of just living off others...

I still can't find luck though...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

A good and wise quote from one of my heros. Edison also said:

".... We should remember that good fortune often happens when opportunity meets with preparation."

Ah... I just need to find preparation and introduce it to opportunity... now where's preparation? I guess its not ready to make itself public. Too bad, it'll miss the opportunity!

These are actually really good and true quotes though!

(I think Edison was not just an innovating inventor, he was a tremendous business man, which is probably how these quotes apply. He doesn't seem to have been very nice to Tesla though )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

A long time ago, I knew a woman who had her own modern dance company. This was in Michigan. They got invited to perform at some festival in New York City. There was no money involved.

They packed all their costumes, props, audio system, etc. into a van, drove to NY, performed a 10 minute dance and then drove home.

Later I asked her how it was worth her while to go to all that trouble to just do a 10 minute dance. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "It's just work."

That's stuck with me ever since. Working hard is free. It doesn't cost you anything.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Mayhap we can take Sean a step closer.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" Dunno for sure,but it could have been the Curie's

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    Ah... I just need to find preparation and introduce it to opportunity... now where's preparation? I guess its not ready to make itself public. Too bad, it'll miss the opportunity!
    Preparation is easy to find. It lives in the practice rooms, classrooms, and performance halls. Opportunity can't be searched out, only recognized when it makes its entrance.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Ah... I think preparation is dressed in overalls and looks like work too. Too bad.

It would be nice to have a positive personified intangible that didn't imply needing a work ethic...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Just putting on some overalls looks like work to me. Where's that suntan lotion?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum