• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Security Flaw

Share/Bookmark

The Security Flaw

In case you may not have noticed, the security patch is now available from Microsoft.

Richard

Re: The Security Flaw

I can't think of one single good reason for using IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan View Post
    Well, it is the only way that I can access a Department of Defense site that I occasionally use. It is also the only way that some Norton tests can be performed. Other than that, I use Firefox. I am also experimenting with Safari, which I am using now.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, it is the only way that I can access a Department of Defense site that I occasionally use.
    This is true. With some sites, only IE is allowed to properly view or even access. This is what makes IE such a monster to me. It flies in the face of standards with intrusive, proprietary code. Developers are in a constant battle against any company "setting the rules" and will actively seek to create open source alternatives to stem the tide.

To me, this is what ARIA is doing as a response to Native Instruments. The sample packs were proprietary and locked. If we were having difficulty, it would not be Gary we would call upon, it would be the non-responsive Native Instruments. They set the rules, and we were dependent on their engine.

Along comes ARIA with its simplicity and open standards. Now Gary can output new or improved product in less time than it took NI to convert it to their locked, proprietary file. Its a win-win for both Gary and ourselves. IE is to browsing the Web as Kontakt Player is to MIDI. IMHO
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan View Post
    Netflix Instant Viewing!

It's also the ONLY way I can access Incredimail content for downloading to my computer. I can get there with Firefox but it will only recognize me as a registered customer with IE. Otherwise I'd take it off my computer.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

It's also pretty hard to get Windows updates without it. Speaking of which, the update seems to have been posted last night:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-078.mspx

... you need to pick the right update based on your IE and OS version. The alternative is to do an automatic update which will pull down the right one.

Howard

That's funny. For all the commotion this flaw has been given, MS only rated the update as "important." I was expecting a critical status for it.

Go Back to forum