• Register
  • Help

Topic: Internet Gone Mad

Share/Bookmark

Internet Gone Mad

I switched to cable internet a few days ago and the sales person said that there was going to be a speed increase in the future. My Apple g Airport express won't work now but when I go directly in with the ethernet cable Speedtest.net shows my DL speed at 26 mbps. I wonder if the problem is that my Apple g airport router is incompatible with the faster speeds. It was working fine with my T1 connection at 14 mbps but that was a fiber connection. Maybe I need the faster n router.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on here?

Phil

Re: Internet Gone Mad

It looks like the faster Comcast internet speed sent my Airport Express over the brink and it was defective.

The new n router is giving me from 21 to 30 mbps DL now.

What's an "n" router, Mr. Phil? I use a Linksys router. Is that not good? Am I way behind the times equipment-wise?

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

hummmm. I'm not especially technoid when computer stuff gets beyond just knowing how to use some programs, so I don't understand everything about your set up. But it is sure sounding slow, even at the new spec you posted. I just checked, and I'm running at 54 mbps. That's pretty standard for a network connection I think? My direct connection from this laptop to my studio computer is 100 mbps.

Randy

Larry,

By n I meant WI-FI 802.11n. This is the latest wireless router protocol.

Randy

I'm talking cable modem internet download speed. Comcast went from 8mbps download speed max to....lets see. I just tested it at close to 30mbps download speed. The minimum seems to be 20mbps now. The speed shock probably fried a chip in my old Apple WI-FI router.

Phil

Hi, Jon

Oh III dunno really. Like I said, so many things about computers and the internet are really a mystery to me. I love it all when it's working, but so often don't have a Clue when something goes wrong.

The 100 figure I quoted is the displayed speed between my laptop and my studio computer. That's my -um, Lan, right? The internet connection is supposed to be 54.

But I probably am just seeing what the theoretical speeds are. Where do I get a display of what's really happening? I have no idea.

Randy

HEy, thanks, Jon! - I've been on a wireless connection for only a few weeks. VEry cool that our home computer is always available to Kate while I have the network on my new laptop. It's through a Linksys router.

I looked around and couldn't see anywhere that would display my speeds, SO the Speakeasy link you posted was very helpful. Thanks!

Results of tests at Speakeasy:

Through Seattle, the closest city to me listed - Down speed was 20.593. Up was 3248 K.

I notice the meter doesn't go past 20--so I guess that's the top speed that's happening nowadays?

Through San Francisco, Down speed was 19, Up was 2569 K.

Farthest city listed, New York - Down was 13, Up was 1800 K.

I noticed in parenthesis there were faster speeds listed as actual speeds or something?

Anyway--That was interesting. Hummm. Guess I'm doing OK? No complaints as a user--ESPecially now that as per Tony, I've switched to Firefox. OMigosh it's so much faster than IE. It's like having a new computer.

Randy B.

Randy

I think your 54mbps is the maximum speed for 801.11g wifi.

No one offers 54mbps but Verizon's Fios is at 50 mbps at $149 per month if it's even available.

The best place right now to test your internet speed is

http://www.speedtest.net/

YEeeah, Phil, I get it - 54 is the theoretical max. I ran the test again for Seattle, and it was slightly slower than the earlier test. But here are the parenthetical numbers in bytes, as you explained, Jon:

2404.1 KB/sec transfer rate
    479.1 KB/sec transfer rate

That download speed maxed out Speakeasy's meter, so guess that's as good as it gets hmm?

Thanks again. Interesting.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum