• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mostly Ebony

Share/Bookmark

Mostly Ebony

I was messing around on the piano and decided to try a piece just on the black keys. So I recorded some improv and then added a cello and then decided to add a violin. No plan in mind, just playing around. Well I kinda liked the piece, so I messed with it for a awhile and this is the outcome.

This is about 95% on the black keys, hence the name.

The piano is the Garritan Steinway (Classic Perspective) and the Cello(#3 solo) and Violin (Gagli) are from GPO.

Here it is
    http://www.box.net/shared/8sy5mvzg8y

Finals are almost over!!!!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Wink Re: Mostly Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    I was messing around on the piano and decided to try a piece just on the black keys. So I recorded some improv and then added a cello and then decided to add a violin. No plan in mind, just playing around. Well I kinda liked the piece, so I messed with it for a awhile and this is the outcome.

This is about 95% on the black keys, hence the name.

The piano is the Garritan Steinway (Classic Perspective) and the Cello(#3 solo) and Violin (Gagli) are from GPO.

Here it is
    http://www.box.net/shared/8sy5mvzg8y

Finals are almost over!!!!

Ron
    You are becoming more and more Asian, Ron!

Yes! The Pentatonic scale is inspiring!
    I'm fascinated by the thought that this 5 tone scale must have existed for thousands of years!

Thanks for the journey into the Orient!

Fred

Re: Mostly Ebony

Very well rendered, Ron, a pleasure to listen to... as
    mentioned above, the flavor seems very Asian; to
    me, evoking images of the quiet of a Japanese hillside.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I like those black keys. Yes, it's eastern asian flavored.

I enjoyed my little excursion to the lands of the east.

Phil

Ron,

There is a sparkle and brilliance to the piano that reminds me of light on snow and icicles, even snow letting go and cascading down from trees after a snowfall.

The balance of the strings and piano works well.

A very successful "enhanced improv" - well done.

Herb

Ron, I came back to this one to listen again. I really like the interplay of the instruments on this. It sounds like they are weaving in and out. I think I have read that you do your work in Sonar. This sounds very good to me, the space and air seem very present. As someone else pointed out, the tone on the piano is great. Thanks for sharing this one! Best wishes, John

Fred

Yes I do agree that the pentatonic scale is inspiring. As a Mathematician I also realize that as long as it has been around, there is always the chance that a piece such as this one has been done before somewhere along the way. Too few notes and too many cultures have used them throughout history.

David

I didn't hear the asian influence until you guys brought it up. But of course now it is obvious. Most of the time I spent on this one was in the rendering. It could still use some work, but for a piece that was just an experiment, it is probably done now.

On a side note, I spent a little over a month in Japan back in the late 70's. Neat place.

Phil

I also enjoyed the time I spent in East Asia. This one sounds very Japanese to me now, But I have spent some time in China and Korea as well. Unremembered influences I guess.

Herb

I don't know if you noticed the changes I made in this from when you first heard it, but there were many. I toned down the dissonaces and went more conventional. I also hear all of the ice and snow myself now.

John

I work almost exclusively in Sonar 8 Pro now. I tried fo a while to get the sounds I wanted out of Sibelius, but it is so much easier in Sonar.

The piano sounds so good simply because it is the new Steinway. IMO it is the best on the market!

Thanks guys

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum