• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How $99 Steinway offer compares with others

Share/Bookmark

How $99 Steinway offer compares with others

I'm very tempted by the Garritan $99 Steinway offer as I've been making an album of solo piano improvisations. It started on my Steinway, which first had a noisy pedal that I fixed, then got better mics, then did 24 bit 96k recording and found this weird buzz in the midrange and I gave up and continued on my friends Yamaha Clavinova which had the obvious advantage of being able to edit the performances via midi. But then when I went to record off of the optical output (limited to 44.1) the fast passages sounded "unpianistic" (is that a word?) I tried triggering from piano sounds from the bundled sample libraries that I own (Mach 5's Bosendorfer, Kontakt's Steinway) and found the best sound to be triggering my motif xs grand piano. My question is, will I find the Garritan Steinway to be even better, and are there other libraries that are even better? When I say better, I'm not talking about punching through in a pop mix, I'm talking about classical and jazz solo piano sound. Thanks for your opinions.

Re: How $99 Steinway offer compares with others

Ooo! You cross-posted!

Since this is a forum for Garritan customers you might find better feedback from the Piano World forum where you'll meet players of every library out there - including the Garritan Steinway!

Here's the link
    http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Curt

Is cross posting a no no? How about cross dressing? Hey, sorry, just wanted to poll Garritan Steinway owners about the sound of the product b4 plunking down my $99. I do own the Garritan Jazz collection and haven't had the most success scoring with it.

Quote Originally Posted by peteruno View Post

How about cross dressing?
    It's not really my thing; but, if you insist...

Hi, I have the Garritan Steinway pro version and couldn't be happier with it.
    I'm not sure what perspective is used in the Basic version, there are five listening perspectives in the one I have. If you want to send me a MIDI file or two, I would be happy to render them with the Steinway and send you a mp3 of the results. Regards, John

Very generous offer: I'd love it if you could render a file with whatever setup is in the $99 special (and of course if their is a significant improvement in the full version I might just wait and get that) Where do I send a midi file to?
    My email address is peter@soundforms.net

thanks again

I would happily sell you my Steinway Pro library!!! I don't use it anymore so it's just a binder on my shelf right now.

Thanks Kurt: I'm going to wait til I hear big ears rendering and then I'd be happy to buy a recycled Steinway as long as its a legit transfer.

As legit as it gets! Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi, I have the Garritan Steinway pro version and couldn't be happier with it.
    I'm not sure what perspective is used in the Basic version, there are five listening perspectives in the one I have. If you want to send me a MIDI file or two, I would be happy to render them with the Steinway and send you a mp3 of the results. Regards, John
    Hi bigears, would you be willing to render this midi file (120bpm)?

It's the track used for a great piano shootout page, and would be perfect for comparison purposes (right now I'm torn between the Art Vista VGP & the Garritan, which is growing on me all the time).

We could also submit the results to the site for everyone's benefit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast