• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Toccata on "Carol of the Bells" (brass choir)

Toccata on "Carol of the Bells" (brass choir)

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Here's an original piece I wrote that will be premiered next week. It was intended to be a fanfare but somewhere along the way it decided to be (what sound to me like) a toccata instead. Still a little rough but thought I'd share. Hope you enjoy.

Toccata on "Carol of the Bells" (brass choir)

Straight from Finale 2009 - a combo of GPO and GCMB brass. Lots of reverb (will be played in a huge marble foyer).

- David

Central Illinois

Re: Toccata on "Carol of the Bells" (brass choir)

This should go over gangbusters! I think the reverb really works on this, great mix and staging of the instruments. Thanks for sharing this, you got this just right! John

Hi David...

I think you were correct in your first label.... the piece sounds/feels more like a Fanfare to me, not a Toccata (which emphasizes virtuosity in technique and ability).

I like this piece. It has a nice regal feel to it. Makes one sit up and take attention.

I like to the short excerpt from a popular Christmas song in there too. It's a cannon of some sort. Can't recall the title offhand. We've heard the song used on a few Christmas commercials though for sure.

Well done David, i'm sure this will go over well. And i too think the reverb used creates a nice effect.

Thanks for the listen.

South of the Ohio River

Well done, David. Really helps capture the spirit of the season for me. Thanks for posting it and a Merry Christmas to you.
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Thanks very much for the kind comments. I have made a few tweaks and added more specific dynamics in some places... I'll let you know how it goes at rehearsal tomorrow. Hopefully it will be an easy read even though it's a little technical - I'll only get about 10 minutes of rehearsal time!

Very well done, David -- I thoroughly enjoyed this...
    several times, in fact.. lol!

Congratulations on a (well deserved) premier! This
    will be wonderful, live.

Always the best,

David Sosnowski

David, this is a superb piece of writing for brass - and I think it will be stunning in a live performance. (It would also sound very effective on the organ - but that's another matter!) Good luck with the performance. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

This was really nicely realized. Heavy on the reverb or not. (I actually thought it added to it nicely)

good writing too. This would be a treat to play.
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Shelton, Washington State

This is a pretty classy seasonal piece. I have always loved seasonal brass music and this one really keeps your attention.

I think the brass always benefit from an extra helping of reverb.

I wish I could be there to hear it performed.

This is superbly done. All in FINALE you say? I would love to hear the live version as well. This is a nicely crafted piece built on one of my favorite carols. It did not sound like a typical remake of Carol of the Bells instead it showed a fresh and genuinely refreshing view of the piece. My hat is off to you and I hope it is well received live as well!

Congratulations on a stunning piece.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast