• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Studio loads Kontakt Player 1.x, complains samples are too new

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Studio loads Kontakt Player 1.x, complains samples are too new

I got a new computer; installed from my original GPO disks. Studio worked fine (with the "please register within 30 days") notice. Didn't take the time to test with Sibelius or ProTools; figured it'd work fine. Went to NI to authorize... made the mistake (it appears) of downloading the Kontakt Player 2 upgrade called "Garritan Personal Orchestra Kontakt Player 2.2.3 Win Update". GPO seems to work in that player (I can hear samples if I play them via the on-screen keyboard, or directly through MIDI), but I can't do what I really want.

-- Garritan Studio loads Kontakt player 1, which then won't load samples, complaining that they were created with a newer version
    -- when using GPO as a plug-in in ProTools it loads Kontakt player 1, same error message
    -- I don't see a way to send MIDI from ProTools or Sibelius to Kontakt Player 2

So, as it stands, I can't really use GPO at all.

Software revs:
    * Garritan Studio 2.0 (downloaded/installed today)
    * ProTools LE version 7.3.1
    * Sibelius 3

Thanks for any help you can provide --

Kevin

Re: Garritan Studio loads Kontakt Player 1.x, complains samples are too new

Hi Kevin,

With GPO KP2, the Studio application is rendered obsolete. Instead, you can use a pair of virtual midi cables (check out Maple: http://www.hurchalla.com/Maple_driver.html ) to link Sibelius 3 to the standalone KP2. Simply go to Sibelius' MIDI outputs page, select a maple port as the output, assign your tracks to it in the mixer window. Then, start KP2 and go to File>Audio/Midi Setup. Under midi in's select the corresponding input port. KP2 labels the first four devices selected as ports A through D, in top down order.

With ProTools 7, you should be able to load GPO KP2 as an RTAS plugin. No need for it to be external.

Had a hunch it was something like that.... don't know why I didn't see KP2 as an RTAS plug-in the first time; probably just blind. It's working fine now. As for virtual MIDI cables, the site you pointed me to (and others claiming to have the Maple software) seems to be down but I found "LoopBe1" and it works for me.

Thanks for your help!!

Kevin

Depending on your OS you might want to give MIDI-Yoke a try. 16*16 MIDI channels - for free. It always worked flawlessly for me on XP32.

Hi,

I have been using Notation Composer with Garritan Studio. The export to .wav facility was important to me.

With the update to KP2, all old files still work ok under Studio. New projects require KP2, connected via Midi Yoke in my case. KP2 does not seem to be able to export to a .wav file. This is very disappointing.

What can I do to be able to export to a .wav file, without exporting my notation via a midi file to another sequencer with the export facility?

Herbert

You can use free Audacity to record the music. Set line in to be "what you hear" or something like that, hit record and start playback in your notation program.

Hi Nickie,

This is what I have been doing at times, just with a different audio editor.

Sending the music twice through the sound card seriously degrades the sound quality by recording electrical noise of the computer and from the non-linearity of the DA and AD converters of the sound card. Intermodulation distortion is introduced adding inharmonic frequencies. Harmonic distortion is introduced as well.

It is far better to save to a .wav file directly, without going through the analog processes. A device driver that would take the digital sound mix from the KP 2 and sends it to a .wav file directly would be the answer.

Currently I am doing all work in Notation Composer and import the final .mid file of the music into Cubase 3. This requires a lot of extra editing. Changes to the music require a change of the notation and at times a new Cubase project with all the editing repeated.

Just getting a .wav file from KP 2 as was possible with Garritan Studio would be so much easier.

Herbert

Herbert, you are not suposed to hardwire your soundcard's output to its input, if that's what you have been doing, although you can do this, of course. It's much simpler: with the "what you hear" setting Audacity taps into the audio driver (before the sound reaches the DA converter, I believe). In other words: it's all internal.

Alternatively you can load Kontakt Player 2 in VSTHost, route you MIDI data to VSTHost with MIDI-Yoke or something similar and record with VSTHost's builtin recorder. I never tried this, so I can't vouch for the quality of the recording.

Hi Nickie,

I think you have put me onto the right track. I have been using GoldWave as an audio editor. GoldWave has no volume controls but relies on the sound card driver, which controls the hardware including the volume controls on the sound card.

Audacity seems to do much the same, but can also work of the Microsoft Sound Mapper as an option. This moves Audacity one step away from the sound card. I will do some tests and let you know.

Thank you,

Herbert

I have now tested Audacity to find out if Audacity will process the output from KP2 to a .wav file, without sending the signal through the sound card’s hardware.

Unfortunately Audacity uses the sound card for recording to .wav with all the shortcomings of the software/hardware conversions of the signal.

Herbert

Go Back to forum