• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Solo Strings II (con sordino) demo-- Frank Bridge's Lullaby for Viola and Piano

Share/Bookmark

VSL Solo Strings II (con sordino) demo-- Frank Bridge's Lullaby for Viola and Piano

For those who may be interested in hearing more of the new VSL Solo Strings II (con sordino), here is my performance of Frank Bridge's Lullaby for Viola and Piano.

It's a simple piece but I hope not without some charm. I enjoy its sweet Victorian lyricism.

Best,
    Jay

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5402

Re: VSL Solo Strings II (con sordino) demo-- Frank Bridge's Lullaby for Viola and Pi

Very nice. In terms of sample quality it's definetely in the same league as the tommasini "samplemodeled" stuff. That said, it's still pretty far from a real instrument, every time a portamento is played I cringe because there is absolutely no connection between the notes and it sounds very synthy to me. But that's just way the samples are, great demo!

Re: VSL Solo Strings II (con sordino) demo-- Frank Bridge's Lullaby for Viola and Pi

Well, it is a sound-set for muted solo strings and certainly the biggest one in this regard on the market. Still, it is less than half the size of the main library were you get some more detailed legato choices and others. Of course a real instrument in the hands of a master will sound better. But if you listen to some of Jay Bacals stuff on the VSL website you will get a proof of concept that those samples DO work. You can download a lot of tutorials and play them back if you own the library. And without any reverb, processing or even panning they sound marvelous.
    So will need a pair of well developped ears and a lot of patience to get into the same league of skilled programming.
    I am sure, at least with strings there wont ever be a simple solution like the modelling approach that suddenly solves all problems. The range of expression is so big that you need a super detailed knowledge of the instrument in order to programm it properly.
    But I like the idea that real players are still superior to renderings with computer. That should be naturally so.

Go Back to forum