• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Huron Carol

Huron Carol

I'm afraid the Christmas season got the better of me this year and I decided to do this arrangement of the Huron Carol for piano, cello, trumpet and male choir. I generally don't do other peoples work but this happens to be one of my favs!

While I have taken considerably artistic license there are parts that are true to the original melody. Below I have given a bit of history of the carol which I hope is more or less accurate.

AS always, any oversights or suggestions on the arrangement, rendering and the mixing are always welcome!

Del Carry

The "Huron Carol" (Jesous Ahatonhia (Jesus he is Born) or "'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime") is a Canadian Christmas hymn (Canada's oldest Christmas song), written in 1643 by Jean de Brébeuf, a Jesuit missionary at Sainte-Marie among the Hurons in Canada. Brébeuf wrote the lyrics in the native language of the Huron/Wendat people; the song's original Huron title is "Jesous Ahatonhia" ("Jesus, he is born"). The song's melody is a traditional French folk song, "Une Jeune Pucelle" ("A Young Maid"). The well known English lyrics were written in 1926 by Jesse Edgar Middleton. Jesous Ahatonhia is the first Christmas Carol known to have been composed in North America (Canada).
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Re: Huron Carol

This was gorgeous!
    It is also my favourite Christmas carol.

In a way, it reminded me of what Stephen Foster did with "Somewhere" (WestSide Story) for Barbra Streisand's Broadway album. A complete reimagining of the work

And in this way, I believe you've succeeded mightily!

(my only comment: the trumpet could have used a tiny extra bit of reverb to match the sustain pedal on the piano and the ethereal voices).

P.S. I LOVED the little "out of tune" opening in the cello. A wonderful touch of almost "blue-grass" folksiness.

Central Illinois

You have done a masterful job on this. The instruments and setting are perfect. Merry Christmas to you and all of our Canadian members and friends! John

Interestingly, I had just heard another version of this just minutes before clicking here. This was splendid! It is such a beautiful tune, and the spacious treatment suits it well. I confess that I can sometimes get overloaded with holiday music. This was just the right balance - new (to me) and spiritually infused. Thanks for that.

All the best to you in the holiday season, and beyond.
    Ron Pearl

A wonderful arrangement of this older Canadian Carol.
    The rendering is really great and brings the listener back
    in time to when it was composed.

Very interesting music, Del.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I do hope the new Strings will sounds as great as these do. I couldn't afford the Strad nor the Grof but I have been putting money away for their replacements, which hopefully will be soon.

Lik QC, I also thought the trumpet could use a touch more reverb/presence to fit the other instruments.

Very nice piece

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

This was most atmospheric and beautifully rendered Del, with the distinct use of the Garritan solo strings that you have mastered so well, if not uniquely. I too, enjoyed that moment early on when the cello slid into its intended note. The effect was all the more haunting on account of its restrained application.

Thanks also for the background notes.

My best wishes to you as Christmas approaches.

I had never heard this carol before. Thanks for bringing it to the forum! This was very nicely done.
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Shelton, Washington State

I don't believe I've heard this carol either. It's quite interesting and very beautiful.

It sounds great.

I love the cello. You could almost see the Huron indians in the opening segment of your arrangement. This is well designed and orchestrated Del. I really like it. I did not feel the trumpet was lacking in presence but that is my ears. The whole carol was very well presented and from a new viewpoint. Congratulations!!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast