• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vibraphone without Vibrato

Share/Bookmark

Vibraphone without Vibrato

I have GPO. The vibraphone patches I tried have a lot of vibrato in them. Is it possible to turn off the vibrato somehow, with some setting or MIDI message?

If not, could someone recommend a different metallophone sound (not wood, like xylophone or marimba), that doesn't have the vibrato?

Re: Vibraphone without Vibrato

Hi Maiki,

Have you tried adjusting the knobs for the tremolo level and speed both to zero? You can get a vibraphone without vibrato this way.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Hi, Maiko

Wanted to add that as it says in the manual, the sustain pedal (cc64) turns the tremolo off and on. - Vibes without trem is a bit unusual, but if that's what you need, there ya go.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Maiko

Wanted to add that as it says in the manual, the sustain pedal (cc64) turns the tremolo off and on. - Vibes without trem is a bit unusual, but if that's what you need, there ya go.

Randy B.
    Thanks, Randy.

Do you mean, that if I put a sustain pedal event in the MIDI track that is driving GPO-vibraphone, that will turn off the vibrato on that vibraphone? Would just one sustain pedal event at the beginning, do it for the whole track?

What I'm not sure about though-wouldn't a sustain pedal event also make the notes keep ringing, and not turn off? Or does the sustain pedal message on the GPO vibe sound not function as a sustain pedal at all, but just to turn the vibrato on or off?

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi Maiki,

Have you tried adjusting the knobs for the tremolo level and speed both to zero? You can get a vibraphone without vibrato this way.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs
    I was loading the instrument into Kontakt 3. I don't see there the tremelo level and speed knob for it.

I guess I could switch to the Kontaktplayer2 or original Kompakt GPO interface, in order to get those settings.

Or--does anyone know how I can get those setting knobs to appear, in Kontakt 3?

Aha! There's your problem. The original KP1 interface wasn't programmed with this feature easily adjustable. Switch over to the KP2 version and you should see it. With the KP2 version there are many fixes and updates to other instruments in the library too, so I encourage you to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Aha! There's your problem. The original KP1 interface wasn't programmed with this feature easily adjustable. Switch over to the KP2 version and you should see it. With the KP2 version there are many fixes and updates to other instruments in the library too, so I encourage you to upgrade.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have both the original KP1 (I think actually called Kompakt) interface that came on the GPO CDs, and I also updated to Kontaktplayer2, the newest, 2.2.4.

What I was trying to explain is that I also have the full Kontakt 3. I had that open, and was loading the GPO vibraphone sounds in it, but did not see those tremelo controls. Kontakt 3 should have more functionality than Kontaktplayer 2, not less. Could someone tell me how to get those tremelo controls in Kontakt 3, or do I have to load the instrument in Kontaktplayer 2, to get those controls?

Are you loading the KP1 .nki in K3? That one won't have the extra programming that puts in the easy access to tremolo control. I was able to load the KP2-version .nki of the vibraphone and get the knobs in K2 (no K3 to test). Try loading the one from the GPO KP2 Library Instruments folder.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Vibes without trem is a bit unusual, but if that's what you need, there ya go.
    I'm not sure if it's all that unusual. I very much like sound of the non-vibe vibes and have used it in a number of pieces.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I finally got it to to work in Kontakt 3, but now a different problem.

For my purposes, the two vibe instruments present in GPO (standard pedal and KS) (or are there more, that I missed) have two harsh a sound for what I'd like. In other words, it sounds like the vibes were hit with fairly hard mallets.

I'd prefer a mellower sound, where they were hit with softer mallets than that.

Any way I can get a mellower attack through adjusting the controls, or should I just look for a different non-GPO sample? (If so, any recommendations?)

(suggestion for future in GPO--get a mellower, softer mallet vibe instrument as well)

Thank you.

Go Back to forum