• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Symphobia- Is is really worth $1200?

Share/Bookmark

Symphobia- Is is really worth $1200?

I just tried out Symphobia at Try-sounds.com (awesome site). Symphobia does sound nice and if it sold for $500 I would have bought it yesterday.......but $1200 (or more depending where you buy it from) is pretty steep for what you get........or is it me? I would love to hear from others here who have taken the Symphobia plunge.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Symphobia- Is is really worth $1200?

For me the answer has been "yes." It really depends on what you need. If you're a person who has to make cues that sound authentic under dialogue for film and t.v., then it's definitely worth it -- in fact it's becoming my first choice over VSL and EWQLSO for this. If you're more an academic-type or a student who wants to do mock-ups that can be transcribed for a real orchestra, or if you work mainly through a notation program, then Symphobia would be of no use at all. For those purposes you're better off with VSL or Garritan.

Shorter answer: if you want your woodwinds on 7 staves, then Symphobia is not for you. If you don't mind just one staff called "woodwinds" then it is for you.

Yeah, that's steep compared to PLatinum PLAY which is a 200 gb library that goes for the same price and has infinitely more sounds. But you must realize the guys at Project SAM created a very specific library- it fits a niche market of movie trailer composers, game composers, those types. It's a very inspired sound set with some string sounds I cannot get from my other libraries (and I have EWQLSO and VSL as well as Miroslav, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, MOTU SI, pretty much everything).

So, it's a bit hard to swallow the price tag and personally it would have sold like hotcakes for $699 but heck, they got my $1400 so I guess I really cannot say too much about their asking price because I bit the bullet like so many others I know to get my hands on those gorgeous samples.

Also, Maarten has announced an update in January that will include NEW SAMPLES! Oh yeah, not just new programming but NEW SAMPLES. So it's true you get what you pay for.

worth ever red cent. But then it depends on what you do. If film/tv is your bread and butter I cant see being without.

Ok, I'm more interested now after another round at try-sounds.com and the comments here. I'm just afraid my wife is finally going to put a stop to my music spending. I've already spent over 30k this year on music related expenses. Hmmmm......how to approach my wife about Symphobia: "Honey, all the cool composers are using it."

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

"Honey, all the cool composers are using it."

"Yes, dear, exactly why you shouldn't have it"

Worth it? As said it depends. It's a great product, but I can see why some would think it is NOT worth it. Here, I think it is.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post
    "Honey, all the cool composers are using it."

"Yes, dear, exactly why you shouldn't have it"
    Hey, have you been talking to my wife?

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Is it priced to reflect its cost of production, or to reflect what the market will bear? I honestly don't know.

I have it, and at £800, it is certainly fair to question its price.
    It is certainly NOT a "no-brainer". You have to think this purchase through very carefully.

Project SAM has continually moved away from the extreme value for money pricing of SAM Horns. Trumpets, Trombones and Solo brass all steadily increased the price envelope .. but only slightly. The percussion packages were marketed on the quality of the samples ... the pricing was not cheap, but nor was it excessively expensive.

But Symphobia is marked departure in terms of pricing. IMHO they are now a boutique producer of samples ... symphobia as a tool and in terms of pricing is simply not an "everyman" package. Its expensive in both absolute and relative terms (compared to other orchestral packages).

In these harsh economic times, I personally think they have got it wrong. But I think I got it wrong too ... I am not a professional TV/Film composer and have a bit of buyers remorse, and only use half the library (I have no use at all for the special effects).
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Is it worth $1200?

From me, a resounding 'no it isn't', for that price. I already own EWQLSO and VSL Special Edition. The sustain patches and effects section in it are excellent. Sadly everything else is sub-par. The woodwinds are out of tune, the transitions from one instrument to another are just plain horrible on most patches and 90% of all patches like the basic string tremolos have _one_ velocity layer making it completely useless for anything that needs real dynamics (which at least for me is 99% of any purely orchestral stuff I make). It's sustain patches with 3 velocity layers sound great as a fattener for other samples but the price is just too steep for what you get. In my opinion that is.
    I'm frankly amazed by the blind praise it keeps getting. If I shell out +$1000 for a sample library I expect everything in the product to be at least of acceptable quality. I find the lack of even quality patches on symphobia particularly surprising when looking at Project SAM's other products. TrueStrike and Orchestral Brass are excellent and great attention to detail has been given to every aspect of these libraries. Symphobia is in that regard a letdown to the extent that I now wish I had bought VSL Appassionata strings instead (which is a totally different kind of program, and isn't a replacement for what symphobia does but has far more value per $ for me).

I don't own it yet but I am working on The Mrs These backrubs, extra cooking, washing and housework are killin' me!

Anyway, YES it is worth it.
    There is nothing like it and for quick load em up ensembles it sounds great.
    It's a great mockup/ idea library but I can see using it in the final mix too.

The guys have put a lot of work into this library and I don't think the price point is over the top.
    You DO get what you pay for and quite frankly the sounds are warm, lush and very inspiring, which is exactly what was intended.

If ya got the bucks to grab it I would.
    Besides, supporting a company like this who have consistently given us excellence is not a bad idea.
    We're the ones who win in the long run.....
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast