• Register
  • Help

Topic: Saving Patches in Omni

Share/Bookmark

Saving Patches in Omni

I'm a bit confused. I watched the overview tutorial and noticed when Eric is saving his patch, all the category folders are in the user folder. When I tried to save my first patch, I got a message telling me to save in one of the category folders or to create my own. Those category folders were not created by default when I installed. Did Eric create each one in the user folder? Not a big deal but when I got the message I created the "ARP + Rhythm" folder to save into. After playing around I decided to rename the folder so I unloaded Omni, renamed in Windows and re-launched Omni. Now I have the new "renamed" category folder and the "ARP + Rhythm" category shows up twice when I display "all" in the category column. It may seem that I'm picking at an insignificant problem but I just want to understand how this is supposed to work.
    Thanks.

Re: Saving Patches in Omni

Yeah, you're supposed to create your own folders/categories in "User".

Just click the "refresh" button in Omni browser when you have "All" in "User" selected, and the database for your own patches will be rebuilt. You can also rename patches or drag them around in Windows, then refresh in Omni - takes only seconds. HTH

werner

EDIT: Just made a test... I get no doubles when I name a user category the same as a factory one. The patch just shows up together with the factory content under that category.

The User folder should indeed already have the category folders there for you to use.

Yours is empty?

Yes mine were empty. When I went to save my first patch I received a "create a category folder" message. FWI I have no problems with the software and contrary to other posts using the patch browser and search, it responds very fast.

Cubase 4.1
    P4 2.4
    2Gb ram
    Omni installed on external FW drive

I realise that I am using a system way under recommended specs but I'm only using Omni and RMX so I can play around with Omni. No problems and having a blast.

werner,

Is this definitely how you're supposed to manage multis and patches? Rename/delete etc in Windows and then just use the "refresh" button?

There is no mention of this in the manual - I'm doing it this way, but just checking that this is right...

PS - my "user" folder is empty too, both in patches and multis

rgds,

If your goal is to create a new Patch (or Multi) then you can do that directly within Omnisphere by using the Utility menu in the upper left corner, and selecting "Save Patch". It will start you in a folder named "User". You must save into a subfolder underneath "User", that is, you cannot save into "User" itself. You can go down multiple subfolder levels and save at any depth you want. There is no need to press the "Refresh" button on the browser after saving a new patch.

If there are no existing subfolders underneath /User, you can create them during the save action by pressing the "create new folder" button on the save dialog (it is the folder with a star on it). Then save into that new subfolder. The subfolder is called the "category folder". There is no need to use Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder) to save a new Patch.

The folder "User" is located at .../STEAM/Omnisphere/Settings Library/Patches/User/. The "User" folder can have any name you want, and in fact you can have two or three user folders at that location, with any names. If you create a new folder at the "User" level, you must re-start Omnisphere for it to appear in Omnisphere's browser.

If you want to rename or delete a user-saved Patch (or Multi) then you should use Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder) and navigate to the User folder and locate the files there and directly rename them.

Quote Originally Posted by noleander View Post
    If you want to rename or delete a user-saved Patch (or Multi) then you should use Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder) and navigate to the User folder and locate the files there and directly rename them.
    That's what I was asking about. I figured out how to save new patches/multis but it seems odd that there is no way to rename or delete from within Omnisphere.

I just wanted to double check that this is the right way to do it.

Thanks for the reply...

Quote Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
    werner,

Is this definitely how you're supposed to manage multis and patches? Rename/delete etc in Windows and then just use the "refresh" button
    I guess I better be careful with terms like "supposed to"...

But, seeing that there's no other way to rename, move or delete patches, that's what we need to do obviously. Refresh works well and is fast. It's not even required to close Omni when juggling things around in Explorer - just make sure the patch/multi you want to rename or whatever, isn't loaded at that time.

Happy New Year!
    werner

Thanks a lot Werner - and Happy New Year to you (and noleander) too ;-)

That's good enough for me - to hear that this is how other people are doing it, and no one has screwed up their patch/multi database yet.

Forums are a lot more helpful than non documented documentation. ;-)

Go Back to forum