• Register
  • Help

Topic: Moving to Intel Mac..a couple of questions

Moving to Intel Mac..a couple of questions

My PPC Dual 2.5 G5 is giving up the ghost it seems and I may have to buy a new Mac Pro. I am looking ar a 2.8 Quad w/8 gigs of RAM. (BTW, is $2100 a good price?) I use Logic. I will have to sell my 2 UAD-1's and get a UAD-2 and trash my firewire/USB PCIx card for a PCIe so it's a bit of a chore to do this switch.

So....I have a couple of questions. What do I do about Trilogy? I have used it in every song I have ever written/produced and I don't really have any other bass libraries-nor can I afford to buy 3 or 4 libraries to replace Trilogy.

I am a singer/songwriter and I am simply producing my own demos, however I use a lot of VI's and plug ins on my projects. (Pop/R&B - Pop/Rock) So, I need the bass sounds. Will the wrapper be okay for my purposes? I don't mind a little hassle to keep what I'm used to.

Next question. I was told that in a few months, the new Mac Pros will be smokin' compared to the one available now - due to the "i7 core" or something like that and the fact that they will be using much faster RAM, and other architecture changes. Should I tough it out for 2 or 3 months and get the newer ones, or is it not as big a deal as I was led to believe?

I appreciate any insight to this move to Intel.

Happy Ho Ho!

Re: Moving to Intel Mac..a couple of questions

I would wait on the computer until at least after Macworld announcements.

The Trilogy wrapper should work well on mac Pros, but check the performance recommendations here first:

To make it easier for you to work on your old songs on your new intel mac i would recommend that you render the Trilogy tracks to audio and save the songs in that state as long as you still have the PPC mac.

Thanks Eric, that was what I was wondering about. Just seemed like bad timing.

Thanks Hans,

Yes, I had already thought of that. It's the NEW tunes I haven't finished (or started, that I am most concerned about)

I'm going to try replacing all the harddrives to see if it helps the performance on the PPC. Hoping that will get me through.

Go Back to forum