• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BFD2 vs ADDICTIVE DRUMS

Share/Bookmark

BFD2 vs ADDICTIVE DRUMS

Post your favourite Drum Library and why!

Re: BFD2 vs ADDICTIVE DRUMS

I have AD and am very happy with it. It has some very nice regular drum kits. The amount of instruments is rather limited, there are no unusual or strange drums, just the basic drum kit setup. You can, however, create some weird sounds with the built in effects. It needs only 2 GB of hard disk space - that's definitely a plus if you're on a laptop. You should download the demo to see if you like it. It's fully functional but has only a few instruments (e.g. no toms).

There is also an add-on pack with more drum kits from the 60s and 70s, but I don't have it. More add-ons have been promised, but there has been no announcement as to what they might be. The members of their forum seem to be most interested in a brush kit (there are no brush sounds in the current libs) and a metal kit, so maybe one of those is up next.

From what I've read, BFD has way more sounds but also needs more tweaking to get great results. Superior drummer 2.0 is another product with a good reputation.

Martin

BFD2 is amazing. The interface is very intuitive, you get to mix drums just like they were recorded in a great studio. the library it comes with is very extensive, and there are great expansion packs available, from percussion to ultra-detailed rock and jazz kits. Just a cool way to deal with real acoustic drums. I have not used the other libraries that are available (addictive, superior) but i haven't had any desire to check them out.

And check out www.rayzoon.com. Their product Jamstix is far and away the best product i have found for taking the samples and making them into tracks. (It comes with its own samples, but you can use it to "sub-host" any other drum samples, like BFD2.) Basically it's like having a real drummer, except you can tell him exactly what to do and he will listen to u.
    Sam

I like EZdrummer for its pure simplicity and great organic sound.
    You cant tweak too much internally but theres hardly any need to-it just works.
    I also got Superior2-its way more sophisticated and has more cool sounds but the interface can be a bit overwhelming at times with lots and lots of tweaking possibilities.
    Addictive is the one with the most creative sound mangling possibilities.
    I use it to create strange and unheard drumsounds with.
    It also comes with a superb libraryr of MIDI beats. Really well played stuff.
    The lib in EZdrummer is also very cool. I never warpped my head around EZplayer pro though-i think its a PITA that they made that a seperate application.
    It would get more love here if it was integrated in Superior.
    I use a V-drum kit to trigger the sounds of EZ,AD and Superior. With the right drummer behind it its really the next best thing to a real drumkit.

Hans

I do not own BFD 2 but two friends of mine, both working pros in LA and one a drummer, switched to Addictive Drums from BFD 2, According to them it has a couple of distinct advantages over BFD2:

The GUI is easy to understand and use.

It doesn't cause your computer to crash.

I find the combo of AD and Stylus RMX pretty powerful.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    The GUI is easy to understand and use.

It doesn't cause your computer to crash.
    I'm running Logic 8 on a Mac Pro and have never had any problems with BFD2, it's very stable.

As far as the GUI... it's a very deep program, so you should expect it to take a little time to learn. One you learn it it's very easy to get around, just like with any DAW.

For me the biggest advantage of the BFD platform is the available libraries and third party support. Platinum Samples has several awesome libraries, Chocolate Audio is bringing SID XL to BFD, and Steve Slate is bringing his library to BFD.

Quote Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
    I'm running Logic 8 on a Mac Pro and have never had any problems with BFD2, it's very stable.

As far as the GUI... it's a very deep program, so you should expect it to take a little time to learn. One you learn it it's very easy to get around, just like with any DAW.

For me the biggest advantage of the BFD platform is the available libraries and third party support. Platinum Samples has several awesome libraries, Chocolate Audio is bringing SID XL to BFD, and Steve Slate is bringing his library to BFD.
    Once again, I am not speaking from personal experience but my drummer friend beta tests for a number of companies and is very plug-in/software instrument savvy and after using BFD 2 for months he switched to AD because he felt the trade-offs to benefits ration to stay with BFD 2 were just not worth it.

YMMV.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I have used BFD, AD and S2.0.

Though all of these are pro end libraries, I prefer S2.0.
    For me S2.0 is my go-to set up for everything. Toontracks added a new interface and built-in FX to bring the former DFH Superior (ver. 1) to a new level of midi drum production. I am satisfied... No, I take that back. I am never satisfied! More Drums! More Drums! Jazz Drums!!!

Thanks to all for the great responses. I own BFD2 and the sounds are just so warm and accustic and work so well with orchestrations. But for the more produced sounds, I guess its best to have AD or Superior Drums.

I liked addictive drums , its really realistic and the interface is great.
    But finally I'm a little bored by its snare sound. The snare really has a recognizable sound, and sometimes difficult to mix ...

Go Back to forum