• Register
  • Help

Topic: Losing An Angel (Vienna SE and Extended)

Share/Bookmark

Losing An Angel (Vienna SE and Extended)

This past year I purchased the VSL SE and Extended libraries. I just got the extended set and wrote this piece for strings. I was going to call it "Samuel's barber" (I hope you get it )

I really love the playability and sound of the VSL stuff. I had been using Gold Pro XP but am finding the legato and portamento patches in VSL are really helping add some more emotion to my compositions. I am not a pro but have had a little success this past year with my writing. hopefully 2009 brings more!

Let me know if you like it. Technically, it may not be perfect, but I hope the emotion of the composition comes through.

All the very best and Happy Holidays to all!

Darren

PS I hope the link works and excuse the crappy mp3 compression...

http://www.darrenpasdernick.com/dpas...g_An_Angel.mp3
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Losing An Angel (Vienna SE and Extended)

Hey Darren

Really enjoyed your piece! I've also got VSL SE + Extended, so its nice to hear what can be done with it.

Over the first 30 seconds, are they legato string patches? Or sustains?

It just sounds very smooth, but it doesn't seem to have the hitch I often find with the VSL Legato patches.. Do you ever get this? Especially at some velocities, the sample that slides from one note to the next isn't always smooth? Maybe I'm being picky, the VSL library is pretty darn impressive to use on the whole.

and at 1:50 - is that VSL or something else? Also are you using Altiverb, if so, what space are you using? Haha sorry for all the questions!

Anyway great work i like your arrangement and sound..

Peter

Hello Darren!

Very dramatic adagio. Thanks for posting.

Kirill Sarsenov
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Kirill Sarsenov's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Quote Originally Posted by reflekshun View Post
    Hey Darren

Really enjoyed your piece! I've also got VSL SE + Extended, so its nice to hear what can be done with it.

Over the first 30 seconds, are they legato string patches? Or sustains?

It just sounds very smooth, but it doesn't seem to have the hitch I often find with the VSL Legato patches.. Do you ever get this? Especially at some velocities, the sample that slides from one note to the next isn't always smooth? Maybe I'm being picky, the VSL library is pretty darn impressive to use on the whole.

and at 1:50 - is that VSL or something else? Also are you using Altiverb, if so, what space are you using? Haha sorry for all the questions!

Anyway great work i like your arrangement and sound..

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the comments. It's all VSL with Wizooverb. In order to get a smoother sound I added a little release to a few of the patches so that they just don't stop as abruptly. This may be a "no no" in terms of realism but it sounds more musical to me.

I used the appasionata strings for the basic chords and then played a legato patch for the main melody. I also created my own multi that has a solo legato violin with a portamento that appears in the highest velocity. I am a total sucker for portamento and that's why I bought VSL. (I also own Gold Pro XP but it has no real true legato or portamento. Qlegato does not come close to VSL's real legato)

I wish I had more cash as I'd love to buy the big version of the Appasionata strings (VSL SE extended only has 2 articulations (sustain and staccato)

Thanks again for the kind words!

Happy holidays,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

haha yes I feel the same way about the appasionata strings. They are beautiful, and I wish I had the cash to buy the whole thing.

Thanks heaps for sharing all the info on how you got your sound keep up the good work!

The piece is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.
    Using: FL Studio 8, on Windows.
    "A Chrsitmas Story":
    "Randy lie there like a slug; it was his only defense..."
    Listen to my music

Darren-a delight to listen to. Loved it! No need to apologize for anything. I would bring up the solo violin though. Very well done!!

Del Carry
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Go Back to forum