• Register
  • Help

Topic: HELP i really Need Help I dont understand how to use GPO

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation HELP i really Need Help I dont understand how to use GPO

I tryied reading the manual.... didnt help... tryied looking for tutorials... didnt help.
    I use Sibelius 5 and i just got Garritan personal Orchestra 3.0 and i dont understand it. i installed and activated it and selected it in sibelius to be the sound set.yet when i want to chose instuments in the mixer window the following pops up. (auto) Garriatian Personal Orchestra, Sibelius Sound Essentials. when i hilight GPO it says Keyboards,Pitched percussion, Wind,Brass,Strings. but when i choose an instrument in brass its only in solo.... how do i build an ensemble in Sibelius 5? and how do i get the realistic sound that everyone keeps telling me about in GPO??? PLease help me this is driving me bonkers. ive been reasearching all night and i still havent found an answer.

Re: HELP i really Need Help I dont understand how to use GPO

Quote Originally Posted by Titanicwicked View Post
    but when i choose an instrument in brass its only in solo.... how do i build an ensemble in Sibelius 5?
    Say you would have a physical orchestra and its brass section would have two trumpets, two horns, two trombones and one tuba. That would be seven players. Basically it is a brass choir with soprano (trumpets), alto (horn), tenor (trombone) and bass (tuba) voices.

You could write four voices or even split them (trumpet 1 plays something different than trumpet 2 etc.)

Now that is how it is done with a real orchestra. To emulate that with software you need seven stems in your notation program, and each must send midi data to one solo instrument. And you need to enter individual notes for any of them.

A good start for a full orchestra would have four groups:

2 flutes
    2 oboes
    2 clarinets
    2 bassoons

2 trumpets
    2 horns
    2 trombones
    1 tuba

Cymbals
    Snare
    Timpani
    Bass Drum

Violin1
    Violin2
    Viola
    Cello
    Bass

So you need to set up 24 staves in your notation program.

You can roughly look at it as four different choirs, and each has its soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Now these four choirs could alternate, help each other, fight each other, build up etc., just as you wish, to tell a story.

and how do i get the realistic sound that everyone keeps telling me about in GPO??? PLease help me this is driving me bonkers. ive been reasearching all night and i still havent found an answer.
    The realism comes from using dynamics. Basically you need to use hairpins all over the place. Plus, it helps to know about voice leading and counterpoint, to improve the writing within each of those choirs.

Hope that helps,
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

You can roughly look at it as four different choirs, and each has its soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Now these four choirs could alternate, help each other, fight each other, build up etc., just as you wish, to tell a story.
    That was brilliant! I will definitely remember that when I start orchestrating. Thanks!

As Hannes says, dynamics are indeed very important. I recommend that you go here:

http://www.garritan.com/GPO-SibeliusPage.html

The second table has some plug-ins that you should paste into the plugins folder, which will make GPO respond to your dynamics and slurs and such like (although you have to actually run the plugins yourself, by selecting them in the plugins menu, once you've pasted them in).

Also, this is from that same page I linked to above:

For dynamics, select the first note and type "Ctrl-T ~C1,64 Esc Esc". This sets the mod-wheel at mid-level (64). Copy this text to any note that needs a dynamic change and tweak the value as needed. All notes that follow such a command will have the same volume, until you reach the next "~C1,xx" command. Typically, you woud insert such a command above each note that has a "ppp-fff" dynamic change. Now our dynamics are set, but the attack may not be what you want. To fix this, select a group of notes that you want to have a similar attack value. Type "Ctrl-Alt-P" to bring up the preferences window. Go to the "Live Playback" tab. Enable "Live Velocity". Set the velocity between 0 and 127, depending on the desired attack. These values override the dynamic markings. Answered by Jon Fairhurst on the GPO Forum
    Make sure you use that.

Have fun, and Merry Christmas!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Titanicwicked View Post
    I tryied reading the manual.... didnt help... tryied looking for tutorials... didnt help.
    This could be a good time to start drinking.

Don't feel bad, I still don't get most of this midi stuff. I was using Cubase LE, got it to work for a while , thanks to the help from some of the members here, and then it went nuts on me ( kind of like my ex wives) and quit working right so I stopped using it and do the orchestra recording in stand alone.

Hang in there, someone here will get you up and running. These cats know this stuff. Me, just enough to get in trouble.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

These functions are handled automatically behind-the-scenes by the sound set. The legato layer and keyswitches are all automatically activated, and if using the notation set of instruments (Sib uses these by default) the included Cresc/Dim plugin in Sibelius will suffice.
    That's good to know - especially the keyswitch thing. It's a shame the tutorials up for sibelius seem to be from 2005 or before - that's where I got most of my information from.

Happy Boxing Day!

Tom

Go Back to forum