• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO on a DELL LapTop. SOUND SUCKS WHAT DO I DO?

Share/Bookmark

GPO on a DELL LapTop. SOUND SUCKS WHAT DO I DO?

Hi, i received GPO for christmas so i can use it in Sibelius 5. i enter notes manualy by mouse. the sound quality is nothing like i expected. i expected hi quality sound. Garritan recomended to me to get Maudio usb interface. is that worth it?

Re: GPO on a DELL LapTop. SOUND SUCKS WHAT DO I DO?

Could you describe the sound your getting? For instance, is it very crackly and broken up? This could help to find out exactly what the problem is, although I'm no technical genius (yet).

Also, how does it sound in the stand-alone application? If you just launch the Kontact player and load an instrument, do you still get the same problem?

Regards,
    Tom

Are you listening thru the laptop soundcard, its possibly not up to the job being used normally with small in built speakers. As you have Sibelius I assume that you have some sounds already, are they acceptable
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
    Could you describe the sound your getting? For instance, is it very crackly and broken up? This could help to find out exactly what the problem is, although I'm no technical genius (yet).

Also, how does it sound in the stand-alone application? If you just launch the Kontact player and load an instrument, do you still get the same problem?

Regards,
    Tom
    it sounds Syth like.... nothing realistic. expecially the brass. it just doesnt sound how its supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Are you listening thru the laptop soundcard, its possibly not up to the job being used normally with small in built speakers. As you have Sibelius I assume that you have some sounds already, are they acceptable
    yes im listening thur my laptop sound card because thats the only sound card i have. i tryied going to bestbuy,staples, etc to find one cause i thought that would be the issue because i called garritan libraries and they said it could be the sound card. well great but it apears no one makes sound cards for laptops. it just sounds like sythisiers are playing the instruments and it doesnt sound good. i called sweet water and the tryied to get me to buy an expensive pair of speaker.... and i was like ummm no. cause when i export my score, it would just sound as bad on anything else.

It takes a lot of work to make samples sound like the real thing.
    You can't just enter midi notes and hit play.

I doubt that this a soundcard issue if as you say, it sounds synthy. That is a performance issue.

Two things you can do to make it sound less synthy:
    1) Apply a decent reverb, preferably convolution with a good Impulse Response.
    2) Ride them controllers - particularly CC#1 (sustain) - like your life depends on it.

Hmmmmm. I think you must not be actually playing the GPO sounds. I suspect you have your MIDI being routed to your sound card's built in synth. Now that sound would truly Suck.

Randy B.

I think I already answered in your other post that you need to use dynamics on and on.

It is most probably that your abilities and understanding are just not there. Expect to use one year of learning before it sounds decent. You will find a lot of tutorials and helpful hints in this forum if you use the search function.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum