• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Piece: Wheeling Stranger

New Piece: Wheeling Stranger

Here's a piece that I wrote last year and recorded today. It's entitled 'Wheeling Stranger' and is a tribute to the great trumpet player and composer Kenny Wheeler. You may recognize some of the harmonies and intervals that Wheeler likes to use. It's a bit on the long side (and contains quite a lot of improvisation), but I hope you'll enjoy it. I'll post something shorter next time...

Hope you all had a good Christmas, and my best wishes for the new year!

You can find the MP3 at:

Re: New Piece: Wheeling Stranger

That's really nice, Mr. Jans! I love it!

As an old improvisational jazz musician myself, I love these great sounds and I certainly appreciate your talents very much. I almost broke out my "stand-up" bass and played along with you.

Thanks for posting your wonderful music.

Best Regards,

Larry G. Alexander

Central Illinois

Wow Jans, that is really nice! It makes me feel like I have my head right up there next to the piano. If you care to share how this was done I for one would be interested. Standalone, or within a sequencer, etc.
    Very well played, and a great production all around! Thanks, John

Dear both,

Thanks for listening and for the kind words! When will we hear some impro from Larry?

I recorded this using a DAW/sequencer called Tracktion (www.mackie.com/products/tracktion3). To polish the sound, I used Waves API 550A for some light EQ (+4 db at 10khz, +2 db at 200 khz), the Waves SSL 4000 for some light compression to catch 'rogue peaks' (high threshold, fast attack, ratio 2:1), and PSP Vintage Warmer to make everything a bit livelier and fuller. I also used Altiverb for reverb.

The perspective is 'under the lid'; perhaps that's why you felt as though you were standing right next to the piano.

I've noticed that even if you don't use the GAS internal reverb, the sound still gets louder if you turn the 'dry' slider all the way up. In my experience this makes GAS sound even better, as if everything becomes a little bit more detailed.

All best,

Right from the get go this track drew me in.

Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

I genuinely enjoyed this, Jan, with its well
    sustained thinking, throughout, and delectatious
    harmonies drawing us dreamily forward.

Perhaps you might consider doing a CD of this
    and some kindred pieces?

Very well done!

My best,

David Sosnowski

Dear Hippie and David,

I'm glad you were respectively drawn in and drawn forward by this piece!

David: Your suggestion to do a CD is highly timely. I'm in fact using the Christmas holidays to record a CD with some of my own pieces, as well as material by Jeroen van Vliet and John Taylor among others that I posted earlier. It should be finished early next month and I'll probably make it freely available online (in wav format). Thanks for thinking along with me!

Best wishes,

Great sounds. You have made the new Steinway
    sound as if we were watching you play "live." A
    very introspective piece also.

Marvelous listen. Very enjoyable. David's request
    for a CD is more than seconded.

BRAVO, Jan

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Shelton, Washington State

This is masterful jazz piano work from the first to the last note.

Jan -

This is a beautiful composition and playing. As other's have suggested, this would make a fine addition to some kind of jazz CD.

I thoroughly enjoyed the listen and thank you for sharing your music!

Happy New Year!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast