• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My Piano Concerto

My Piano Concerto

Hello Everyone!

It has been a while! Approximately 2 years ago I posted this piece, which is the first movement of my first piano concerto, and have not posted anything since:

I would love for you all to listen to it again! I created it for my Mother as a gift for Christmas. I am currently in teacher's college and though I took piano lessons as a young child for about 5 years, I cannot read a single note of music, but love to compose. This program has been great for me! I have been working on the last movement (the 3rd) of this concerto intermittently since finishing the work above, and it is nearly complete (I plan on having 3 movements, and already have the 2nd written in my head)

Sadly I cannot devote much time to composing as I am a student, which is why it has taken me so long to work on the third movement! But it is almost finished, and I will post it as soon as I can.

In the meantime, for those who have already heard and remember this piece from when I posted it a while ago, I hope you enjoy listening to it again, and for those who are hearing it for the first time, please leave your thoughts and I really do appreciate any constructive criticism or opinions since I do not have any formal training in composing, I play everything by ear!

Central Illinois

Re: My Piano Concerto

Sorry I can't get the link to work.

That is Beautiful!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

An excellent job on this energetic and engaging
    movement, Matt; a most enjoyable listen, I must

Matt, it's plain to me that there's some serious
    ability at work, here. I entreat you to learn to
    read (and write) in standard notation. There's
    also a free orchestration course, the Rimsky-
    , available right here on the forum.

I am most definitely looking forward to the next
    two movements!

With applause,

David Sosnowski

Central Illinois

Hi again, I finally was able to download the file and have listened to your Concerto. Very impressive writing and rendering. All the more so, when I think of trying to keep it in one's memory until it is captured. You didn't say how you went about putting this down. I'd be interested in hearing how it was achieved. What libraries or sounds you use, etc.
    Nice job on this, it will be good to hear the next installment. John

Very nice presentation...

This is a lovely and well played piano concerto (movement 1? - is there going to be more? --- I hope so)

I agree with etLux. Get some training on reading and writing in standard notation. After all, you did it as a kid, how hard can it be? No, seriously, go through the orchestration course here in the forum and re-learn to read the notes. You have a great ability and an obviously fine ear for music. I can't wait to hear more of your concerto.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Shelton, Washington State

This is great stuff!

Five years of piano lessons is still a pretty good foundation. I bet you know more than you think you do.

Matt -

This is a wonderful composition! To my modest ears, it's well written and well rendered. What a lovely gift to give to your mother! I certainly hope that you share your work as you finish writing this piece!!

In all honesty, I have a hard time believing that you "can not read a single note of music". How did you organize this composition without writing something down on a piece of paper? You are probably being quite truthful in sharing that you don't read music. It's just that this is such a well developed composition that I can't imagine it being written without some kind of "pencil to manuscript paper" taking place.

Well done. I hope you find the time to finish your concerto! If or when you do, and if you decide to share it here, I look forward to hearing your work!

Happy New Year to you and your family, Matt. And Happy Composing!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Darmstadt, Germany

I just post my onw new piece and then listened to yours, and I must say: Whow, how beautiful!! Very, very good!! How long did it take you to write it?

Good writing here for both sides (piano and orchestra). The middle
    section was briefly reminiscent of the M.T. of Tchaikowsky's THIRD
    movement of his Bb Minor Piano Concerto (No. 1), but overall,
    the ideas were really good.

I think, as et Lux advises, that you should learn to read and study
    music form. Seems to me you have a really good ear and talent for
    musical creativity.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast