• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which version of Finale?

Share/Bookmark

Which version of Finale?

I am wondering if I would really need the full version. Allegro seems to have just about everything except vst support. How much would that matter?

Re: Which version of Finale?

Hello, P.T.

On the rare occasion when I need notation, I use Sibelius. But I still understand your question - What does it matter if a program can support VSTs? In my opinion it matters tremendously. Without VST support, the entire world of soft synths would be unavailable to you. I can't imagine a current music application of any kind leaving this critical feature out. It would be like having a CD player with no discs to play on it!

Randy B.

P.T.

Even though Allegro does not have VST support, you can route Allegro's midi output to the Kontakt 2 Player thru a virtual midi cable such as MIDI-YOKE. (www.midiox.com)

I'm not familiar with Allegro's Human Playback features, so those might not work as automatically as they do in Finale. It might take a little work on your behalf to get keyswitching to work for example.

It just depends on what your needs are. As long as all you need are basic demos, not polished performances, it should be fine.

Jeff

I think Jeff asked the most pertinent question which is what are you're needs?

For example I've personally decided to focus on using Finale for my composing/playback needs. On the rare occasion someone wants a more polished rendering I can use Sonar and actually mix something in a more traditional way.

So if you're like me you'd want to upgrade to Finale 2009.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    I am wondering if I would really need the full version. Allegro seems to have just about everything except vst support. How much would that matter?
    Hello PT,

I am a Finale user and currently have Finale 2009. I agree with Randy that full VST is very important. In fact, Finale has only just started supporting full VST. It could be argued that if Finale is to be used just to prepare a score then MIDI file for importing into a sequencer such as Sonar where the the main performance will be crafted, then VST support in finale may not be quite so vital. I have to say that this is the way I work but I still say that, for me, full VST support in Finale is a must.

As regards Allegro v Finale, whilst I have never used Allegro, I would be surprised if the only difference is VST support. It might well be worth a search in the Finale forums or posting this question there for further informed opinions.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum