• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ode To Joy

Share/Bookmark

Ode To Joy

Okay, I know this is one that is probably overdone, especially near Christmas time. However, I wanted to do something besides render somebody else's arrangement. So I chose a melody that I knew well, took it, and ran with it. My wife and daughter (both better trained musicians than am I) pitched in with an ear and a helpful comment when I needed them, and this is the result.

Ode To Joy

And for the record, I played with the mod wheel a bit in this one... now the question is did I use it correctly? (shrug) All I know is that I, personally, was pleased with the final product, and that has to mean something.

Hope you like it.

Edit: The opening uses GPO string sections (violin, viola, cello, and bass). The remainder is a mix of GPO strings, GPO brass, GPO handbells, and various and sundry sounds (synth, bass, drums) from Cubase.

Re: Ode To Joy

Well, roll over Beethoven. This is an interesting and lively version of that
    familiar theme. Do you use onboard sounds from your keyboard to do this? It
    was well done, however you go about it. Nice job! John

I'm sorry, forgot the basics again. The opening uses GPO string sections (violin, viola, cello, and bass). The remainder is a mix of GPO strings, GPO brass, GPO handbells, and various and sundry sounds (synth, bass, drums) from Cubase.

John, I'm very glad you liked it. Thanks for the compliment. Maybe I am learning a few things as I go along. You know one thing I learned? This is even harder than it looks! (grin)

Ah, Beethoven

This is a nice fresh spin on the rock versions I have heard of this. Nicely done, HongKongCV!

Only suggestion I would have (and as always it comes down to personal taste), I would use less reverb especially in the drums. Irregardless, this is a rockin' Ode and worthy of being heard before New Year's Eve!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Lol! I can't win for losing. The last song I posted drew comments that I needed more echo, and this one has too much! (grin) Guess it's like you said, it's a matter of opinion.

But thanks for your comments, and I'm glad you liked it. Guess I'm not a total loss, and I'll keep plugging away at it. Every time I do a project I learn something, often several somethings.

Happy New Years, people!

This was a more mellow rock version and I liked it because of that.

It's a different take than MR B. intended but it works well for today.

I've found it works best to keep the percussion pretty dry and also not much verb on the low instruments.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I realize that Mr B. did it differently, but since he already pegged the needle on the "classical" viewpoint, I had to do SOMETHING different. (grin) Glad you liked it.

Hi, Hong Kong!

I decided it felt like a good idea to get another taste of Christmas, even though we're now into the new year, so I clicked on your post.

What a fun, light hearted version of "Ode" you've constructed here. I really enjoyed its spirit a great deal.

I'll pass on one suggestion - The strings could use some legato work so that they're not attacking each new note so strongly. Doesn't it seem more choppy in the opening than necessary?

Really good use of such a wide variety of Garritan instruments. Thanks!

Randy

Go Back to forum