• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Topic: Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

    Hi,

    I'm thinking about buying Omnisphere and tried it and liked it a lot ... but I tried it out on a high end system Mac plus lots of RAM. I however will use it on an iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM..... with PT LE (currently 7.4.2 but will soon update to PT LE 8). I've also posted a similar query on the DIGI DUC.

    Anyone here with some input using Omnisphere on a slower Mac and Pro Tools LE? And yes, I am a guitar player ! Any input appreciated!

  2. #2

    Re: Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

    Quote Originally Posted by iTwang View Post
    Hi,

    I'm thinking about buying Omnisphere and tried it and liked it a lot ... but I tried it out on a high end system Mac plus lots of RAM. I however will use it on an iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM..... with PT LE (currently 7.4.2 but will soon update to PT LE 8). I've also posted a similar query on the DIGI DUC.

    Anyone here with some input using Omnisphere on a slower Mac and Pro Tools LE? And yes, I am a guitar player ! Any input appreciated!
    Bump....

  3. #3

    Re: Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

    That rig meets the minimum recommended spec for Omnisphere and will generally work fine. However, you mention PT8. As you probably know, using ProTools with OSX 10.5 (which is required for PT8) means you must turn down your number of RTAS processors to one less than the maximum when working with many 3rd party RTAS plugins, including Omnisphere.

    - Glenn

  4. #4

    Re: Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

    Quote Originally Posted by iTwang View Post
    Hi,

    I'm thinking about buying Omnisphere and tried it and liked it a lot ... but I tried it out on a high end system Mac plus lots of RAM. I however will use it on an iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM..... with PT LE (currently 7.4.2 but will soon update to PT LE 8). I've also posted a similar query on the DIGI DUC.

    Anyone here with some input using Omnisphere on a slower Mac and Pro Tools LE? And yes, I am a guitar player ! Any input appreciated!
    Please note I am using a different system than yours but with PT8 HD which should be the same as PT8 LE as Omnisphere is an RTAS plug. On a PPC Dual 2.5 4 gig Ram Omnisphere is virtually unusable with PT8 HD. Constant looping around the last phrase you played,pizza wheels etc. It is fine(even though very CPU intensive) with Logic 8. You have an Intel machine so your milage may vary.It seems to be a Spectrasonics RTAS coding thing with PT8. With PT 7.4 cs8 on Tiger it is more stable.It works so much better with Audio Units on the same machine whether you are using Tiger or Leopard.

    Denis

  5. #5

    Re: Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

    That doesn't sound correct at all. The only circumstances where we've had users encounter this problem is when they do not turn down their RTAS processor count.

    - Glenn


    Quote Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post
    Please note I am using a different system than yours but with PT8 HD which should be the same as PT8 LE as Omnisphere is an RTAS plug. On a PPC Dual 2.5 4 gig Ram Omnisphere is virtually unusable with PT8 HD. Constant looping around the last phrase you played,pizza wheels etc. It is fine(even though very CPU intensive) with Logic 8. You have an Intel machine so your milage may vary.It seems to be a Spectrasonics RTAS coding thing with PT8. With PT 7.4 cs8 on Tiger it is more stable.It works so much better with Audio Units on the same machine whether you are using Tiger or Leopard.

    Denis

  6. #6

    Re: Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    That doesn't sound correct at all. The only circumstances where we've had users encounter this problem is when they do not turn down their RTAS processor count.

    - Glenn
    Glenn

    I have tried it specifically with PT8 and the above system and there is no difference. I can run Omnisphere in 7.4 cs8/Tiger with both processors and do not have this problem. It only exists with PT8/Leopard on one or two processors, in my case.

    Even if this worked it still would not be a solution, as my system will run out
    of steam with only one processor working, for me this is an unacceptable workaround anyway . Even more so if you are on LE which is Native.

    The core of this issue is, that some VI's work as they should in PT8 and some don't. Why can all the Air VI's work on all the processors while Spectrasonics and many others don't? It is not acceptable to say that Air plugs are inhouse. Are they given some secret that other coders arn't, so that their plugs work better in PT8 ?

    This is not a rant at Spectrasonics. Many other plug in manufacturers have
    the same issue, but also many don't. I would love to know the answer to this. The cynical would have us believe that some plug-ins manufacturers dont care about RTAS as it is not a primary revenue stream I would hope and believe that this is not the case for Spectrasonics.

    I use RMX,Atmosphere and Trilogy every day. I have used Spectrasonics plugs for years and trust me I am a fan. It is just frustrating that getting Omnisphere going with my rig on PT8 is such a struggle.

    Please can someone who is technically minded give me/us the answer to why some VI's work and other's dont

    Denis

  7. #7

    Re: Omnisphere on iMac 2.4 Ghz

    In that case you have an unusual circumstance that has not been reported by any other Omnisphere users. Please contact tech support for assistance.

    As for why some 3rd party plugins do not support the use of the maximum RTAS processor count when using ProTools on OSX 10.5: generally, the more sophisticated the plugin, the more likely it is to be susceptible to this issue. The technical details are understood by 3rd party developers and we are all working with Digidesign to improve the situation.

    - Glenn

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •