• Register
  • Help

Topic: Control midi data via keyboard

Share/Bookmark

Control midi data via keyboard

I have a midi keyboard with tons of assignable sliders and knobs.
    Now, I know you can assign them to act like a control station to handle various functions in Cubase but what about virtual instruments?

How should I look at this as I've never done it before.
    Should the keyboard just control Cubase or should it control my virtual synths and what about sample libraries? Any use in doing that?

Any thoughts would be appreciated muchly.

Re: Control midi data via keyboard

Yes, in many instances some VSTi parameters can indeed be controlled by a MIDI controller. Please consult the manuals for the VSTi(s) you have purchased, and if their parameters can be controlled in that manner, you will see a list of which CC message controls which function. The new CC121 controller from Steinberg expands upon the concept and adds additional controls for VST3 plug-ins. In brief, this is one of the reasons why your controller has all those knobs and sliders ...............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    Yes, in many instances some VSTi parameters can indeed be controlled by a MIDI controller. Please consult the manuals for the VSTi(s) you have purchased, and if their parameters can be controlled in that manner, you will see a list of which CC message controls which function. The new CC121 controller from Steinberg expands upon the concept and adds additional controls for VST3 plug-ins. In brief, this is one of the reasons why your controller has all those knobs and sliders ...............playz
    I understand and thank you for your trouble.
    I guess what I really want to know is should I try and control the VSTi and GPO library or should I just try and control Cubase?
    Can you do both? Or is that too complicated?
    Thank you again.

I currently control a MIDI box, JABB and SAXLAB all through the sliders on an Edirol PCR 500. You need to sit down quietly, work out which control goes where and then set the keyboard up. Dont try to do it on the fly, you'll get in a terrible muddle. My keyboard can down load the settings and you can easily change should you need to even between tracks.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: "I guess what I really want to know is should I try and control the VSTi and GPO library or should I just try and control Cubase?
    Can you do both? Or is that too complicated?"
    ---Whether or not you try and control a VSTi is, of course, up to you, but yes, it certainly can be done (again depending on the VSTi and the parameters you want to control), and yes, one can control Cubase and often a VSTi. That's also why some VSTi(s) have a feature called MIDI learn. Some controllers can control Cubase (e.g.Transport functions) at the same time as one is controlling a VSTi that is open and in use. One can also send program change messages to some VSTi(s) as well.
    Not sure what you mean by controlling the GPO library. You may be able to control some parameters of the GPO player or whatever it uses (sorry, I prefer and use a different orchestral plug-in), but your manual will tell you what you can and can't do, and whether GPO can receive program change messages remotely. In any case, perhaps start simply: pick a plug-in and set it up to receive CC and PC messages and then figure out how to send the messages you want using your controller. HTH.............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks so much guys.
    I'll just sink my teeth into it and experiment, sometimes that's the best way to learn.

I think I'll learn to control Cubase first then move on.

Go Back to forum