• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tips for improving concentration/memory whilst playing ?

Share/Bookmark

Tips for improving concentration/memory whilst playing ?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    For a long time now I've been aware that my concentration and memory levels whilst playing are absolutely dreadful. Today was a classic example: I started writing a new piano piece, which was not that difficult, and I was pretty much unable to play it from start to finish without hitting a wrong note or suddenly going blank on what was the next note or chord.

I'm not consciously aware that I'm not concentrating on playing or where the hand should be moving next, but in many cases I "knew" what I should have just played but somehow didn't do it.

Are there any tips, techniques which might help me ? I've been playing now for over 20 years, professionally for 15 (in the studio, not live) so I really should be better at this by now. I must admit my head is permanently full of a million things, so that doesn't help and I'm 100% selt-taught. But I'm getting desperate now ...

Any ideas gratefully received.
    Intel DP35DPM // Intel Core 2 Quad Q-6600
    MSI 8600 //
    4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
    RME MADI // Sony DMX-R100

http://myspace.com/richardanthonyjay

Re: Tips for improving concentration/memory whilst playing ?

Well.... This is a common problem I think.
    I'm not sure what the real answer is here but I do know this much.

I have a golden rule that I set for myself, I stole it from Jeff Rona who probably stole it from someone else and so on.

The number one issue is to set aside some time each day where you WON'T be interrupted, turn off the phone and record 2 minutes of music each day. Now to get 2 minutes that is ready for editing (therefore it sounds pretty good) it may take up to an hour or 2.

If you get into the habit of completing 2 minutes a day, everyday it will help. Again, it doesn't have to be perfect just usable and something you feel you can draw on down the road. Don't force yourself to complete a piece, let it come to you.

Forming habits like this helps and makes the next session go smoother and before you know it you'll be able to sit there with no distractions and focus on the task. I cook dinner for my Wife and I every night, enjoy our meal then head downstairs into the studio for an hour. This is my "idea time". No working on projects just ideas. Sometimes I'll pick up from where I left off the previous night, sometimes I'll start some new African rhythmic thing. It doesn't matter though.

I now have a massive library of ideas, all of which can easily be built on and turned into something usable.

This may not be your answer but it works for me.

Try it for a week and see what you end up with, you may be surprised.....
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Re: Tips for improving concentration/memory whilst playing ?

I appreciate your input ... but my problem is a bit different from the one you describe. I don't have a problem with other people/things distracting me. I work alone in the studio for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. The distractions or lack of concentration, alas, is purely internal and is purely performance-related rather than coming up with ideas, etc.
    Intel DP35DPM // Intel Core 2 Quad Q-6600
    MSI 8600 //
    4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
    RME MADI // Sony DMX-R100

http://myspace.com/richardanthonyjay

Go Back to forum