• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS contest

GOS contest

I saw the thread where SteveMitchell kindly gave away his GOS, and realised that there is still a large body of people who really want to get their hands on it. I have a copy that I never used (Gigastudio never agreed with my PC), so I thought I could donate it too.

I checked with Gary, who's OK with me giving it away, but suggested we should have some kind of contest, rather than simply giving it to the first poster to ask.

So I'd like to propose a String Composition Competition. Write anything you like, predominantly for string orchestra, render it with any sounds other than GOS (including recordings of real performances), and post a link to it in this thread before 29th January.

After the 29th January I'll start a separate thread asking people to PM me with their favourite tracks and allow a week for voting, then declare a winner.

If anyone has any strong feelings about keeping it anonymous then say so quickly before people post links that give their names away.

Happy composing!

p.s. I would appreciate if the winner could contibute towards the delivery costs, particularly if you live outside the UK.

p.p.s This is the CD version (20 CDs) of GOS

Re: GOS contest

Good for you! Last year I gave away 2 Emu Proteus rack synths here.
    I could have made a little money on Ebay, but giving is more fun and less hassle.

I might have an audio interface to give away sometime - not sure yet.
    It cannot work with my Mac Pro without getting an updated PCI (PCIx?) card. Not sure I want to do that - I already have a MOTU 828 that I use most of the time.

A few years ago I gave an IU music student an older Roland D5 keyboard that I never used, but he was thrilled to have a MIDI board of any kind. Also a very used but working Alesis 16 channel mixer. It had a crack in the case, but worked perfectly - on Ebay that would have been a real pain to deal with. That went to a college student I met at Gaither Studios in 2004 - he was studying to be in the recording business and it helped him start a little personal studio.

Us older guys quite often need to clean house and let things go!
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Hi Charles, what is the model number of your audio interface,
    I suppose it is a MOTU something....

I am interested,,,

Does it work in EXS24. I know that it converts Giga stuff, but I'm not really sure how well.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

This is a wonderful offer that I can't pass up...

One of my musical passions is composing/rendering for strings,
    so naturally I would love to have the GOS!

My question is: does it have to be an original composition??

Thanks for you offer,

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    My question is: does it have to be an original composition??
    Well it needs to show off your ability to write for strings - either an original composition or a strong arrangement, not just a 'performance' of something written by someone else. It's important that we're judging the string-writing and not quality of rendition, since the latter would favour those who already have the bigger string libraries.

It doesn't need to be original in the sense of it being new (how would we know?), so if you happen to have a great string piece on your hard drive already, then by all means use it.

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    Does it work in EXS24. I know that it converts Giga stuff, but I'm not really sure how well.
    Sorry, I really don't know. One of the problems you may face is that a lot of the programs contain crossfades (in fact I think GOS was the first library to use them). Whenever I've tried to import Giga libraries, that contain crossfades, into Kontakt it hasn't worked very well at all. The samples themselves have converted fine, but the way Giga handles crossfades seems to be very different from other samplers.

A dedicated translator might do a better job.

Here's my entry:

It's called "Creation Overture".
    All GPO strings.

Rob Horvath

Go Back to forum