• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: So...What Did You Get?

Share/Bookmark

So...What Did You Get?

Did you get what you wanted for the holidays?

Were you good all year and get nice presents? Or naughty and received a lump of coal?

Let us know if Santa was good to you.

Re: So...What Did You Get?

Gary, I must have been very very bad this year.......

Actually, no new toys this Christmas.....but my wife had vacation days and I am off while rehabilitating my old body, so we spent the days leading up to Christmas together baking and getting things ready for the Holidays.
    Just some quiet days where no one had to be anywhere or run here or there, and I think that is about as great a present as anyone could wish for.
    John

Maybe for my birthday I'll get a shiny new toy!

Nothing yet! Santa's waiting for the upcoming Garritan sale.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

A dinosaur.

I got hosed............................again.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi Gary and everyone,

I hope your Christmas was great!
    Christmas here gets more depressing each year, I hate to say that,
    but it's true.

My two sisters and their husbands stayed home in their respective states, Tucson Arizona, and Fort Worth Texas. Sometimes they come to my parents home (five minutes from me) and Christmas is more like Christmas.

I know Christmas is all about giving, but I did receive a few nice gifts.

I saw a friend at a concert that I have not seen in a long time, the last I had heard was that he was very near death. He needed a liver transplant, and got a call at 3am that he needed to rush to the hospital right away to receive the liver transplant. He did,... and man he looks fantastic! Good skin color, healthy, and so on. That was about two years ago. After the concert, he was so glad to see me too.

He is a fantastic pianist, jazz, pop you name it, he plays it. He told me that he had some cassette tapes that he was wanting to put on CD, and also make MP3's so he could email songs to various people. He does not have the equipment to do this and of course I do. I told him "you bet I can do that for you". He responded with...."not for free you won't"

So, to make a long story even longer I got the tapes from him and started recording them into Digital Performer so I could master them, and finally create many CD's of the tapes complete with track ID's separating the songs. I told him that I would have them for him by Christmas. He said... "REALLY?" I called him on December 23rd and told him that it was taking much longer than anticipated, and that I would have them for him sometime before new years eve. I called his home and spoke to his wife without him knowing, then I drove about two hours round trip to deliver the CD's to her, so she could wrap them and place them under their Christmas tree on Christmas morning.

To wrap up this story, (no pun ) he did get them, and was totally surprised and excited. If I know Eddie, he ran to the closest CD player.

Here is one of the tunes with Eddie and his big band, I recorded this to a stereo cassette deck live from the Soundcraft stereo outputs,,, the same mix that went to my sound system.

http://www.dankury.com/music/Eddiegp3-5.mp3

Eddie called on Christmas morning and graciously thanked me over and over. That made me feel so good.
    It is indeed more blessed to give, than to receive.

Now, the best gift I got, was having Pastor Miller to our home for Christmas day. His daughter asked my parents if they would not mind having him for a part of the day. Since she is in Florida, she hated the thought of him being alone since he lost his wife about four years ago. He is now 89, and drove to my Mom and Dad's for Christmas lunch. This is the man who filled the pulpit at my church during my youthful years. After not seeing him for a long time, it was so great to hear him pray for lunch,... I sat there and listened to him humbly thank God for Danny and his gifts, and for using them all those years at church. He reassured us all that God loves us despite our weaknesses. Since he is my Pastor, he is intimately aware of some of mine, and was instrumental in helping me get through those times.

It was just so humbling to hear that man's deep voice right next to me, instead of through an AKG C-451 pulpit mic, and an Altec Lansing speaker system, of course the ones I installed he he he.

Sorry for the long post here, but even though this is a depressing time for me since Christmas is technically over, next year will open new doors with new opportunities and new jobs. God has been faithful to me through some great friends (Gary, you're one of them) and He will continue to bless me more than I could ever ask or think.

Happy New Year everyone!

Dan

Really great Christmas stories Dan. They are what
    Christmas is all about.

My family had a great Christmas and everyone was
    "nice" so they got what was on their Christmas lists.

I wanted a bunch of classical DVDs (I like to watch the
    artists perform as well as hear them play) and have been
    listening for the last 3 days. What motivation they provide.

Also, a surprise gift for me was a new GPS-Personal Travel
    Assistant. Man, are they great or what? The "lady" tells
    you where to go at every turn to make sure you reach your
    destination and even warns you about 300' before you are
    supposed make turns onto specific-named streets, avenues,
    etc. It's a real kick to hear her say, "You have reached ......."
    and then the little racetrack flag appears to signal that it
    is all over.............lol...........What fun.

Of course, the real fun is hearing from relatives and friends and
    dining with the family. It's important to embrace the meaning
    of "family" in one's life. So many folks just take it for granted that
    the meaning seems absent, but when the chips are down, then the
    meaning becomes more clear. Family is the most important asset
    any human has. It can bring more joy than anything purchased with
    money. A good point to remember and a relationship to pursue.

I like Christmas because I observe it the way my family and their
    families have for generations. Tradition really gives substance to
    a holiday of any kind, but on Christmas it seems special.

Happy New Year to all. I wish you many happy hours with your
    music and creative endeavors......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Also, a surprise gift for me was a new GPS-Personal Travel
    Assistant. Man, are they great or what? The "lady" tells
    you where to go at every turn to make sure you reach your
    destination and even warns you about 300' before you are
    supposed make turns onto specific-named streets, avenues,
    etc. It's a real kick to hear her say, "You have reached ......."
    and then the little racetrack flag appears to signal that it
    is all over.............lol...........What fun.

I'll bet you $100 that voice sounds exactly like one of my ex's.

They were doing that to me before GPS was even heard of.

PS....with my ex's there wasn't a little red flag.....it was whatever she could grab or had in her hand at the time.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

A Ford BMF. My little old Honda Civic Wagon died, and my son gave me a monster Ford SUV as a replacement. I love it! (And my son, also) It was not exactly a Christmas present, but happened sort of near Christmas.

Better you don't ask what I mean by BMF. My answer would be censored!

It sure makes my Camry look like a toy. On this narrow winding road where I live, I notice people giving me plenty of room!

Richard

Wow, you guys are the reason retail stores are in trouble.

Someone got me a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)/ Surge Protector to protect my computer music setup.

Very much appreciated, but not something you have fun with.

That's it for me.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum