• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "The Dessert" - 4th and final piece to Musical Sweets

Share/Bookmark

"The Dessert" - 4th and final piece to Musical Sweets

Hello -

Here's the 4th and final piece to my happy "Musical Sweet". It is, of course, titled The Dessert. LOL!

I managed to finish writing this piece (Yep! It's a pencil to manuscript paper composition!) just a few days before the 25th. As this set of 4 compositions ("The Menu", "The Appetizer", "The Dinner" and "The Dessert") is our main Christmas gift to our family and friends, I burned a LOT of CD's on the 22nd and the 23rd! LOTS of them! LOL!

I just converted the aiff file to an mp3 file to share here!

I think that this is MY favorite composition out of the four. It's short, for one. It helps calm me down as I listen to it (and the others) while driving home after a hard night's work.

From a compositional point of view, it is what it is. I tried my hand at using a canonic type compositional device to serve as contrast to the chordal/melodic structure found at the beginning and at the end. It was a lot of work just developing that segment of the composition. I need to practice canonic-type writing. But I think I got it to be almost "passable" from a compositional point of view.

From a rendering and mix-down point of view I welcome thoughtful comments and suggestions. All of the instruments seem to be heard in a nice way.

From an orchestration point of view, I used the double basses in kind of a "tight interval" to the lowest note of the wood-winds and brass of the "chordal structure" sections. It didn't sound muddy and I liked the richness that it created. For me, anyway, it helped bring a kind of "peaceful feeling" (well, it also ends on a nice major chord) that seemed kind of nice. I also used less percussion in contrast to the previous three compositions.

Anyway. . . here is The Dessert .

I thank you in advance for taking the time to listen to it. It's probably going to be a while until I write another set of compositions like the "Musical Sweet". We have some Too Live Nurse projects to create and complete. It was fun doing this, though. I also want to thank David for suggesting that I develop the first composition (now titled, "The Menu") into a suite of sorts. These set of compositions is probably not a real or traditional "Suite". But there are some thematic type stuff that can be found between the four of them that helps hold them together as a "collection" (the quartal melodic and chordal structures, mainly).

Again, thank you! And, Happy New Year!

Peace. . . . . and Happy Composing, folks!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "The Dessert" - 4th and final piece to Musical Sweets

Ted, Like any good dessert, this one was "fluffy, not stuffy."

I loved the woodwinds at the start, and then you have achieved great balance and spacing on the other instruments as they take the stage.

Well, I guess this brings a close to a fine repast. All of the "courses" were delightful. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your friends and family must be very proud of you. BRAVO! John

This was a fine ending to a wonderful meal.

Quite an accomplishment I must say.

I hope everyone appreciates all the work you put into these pieces and realizes that this music is part of you.

Phil

John and Phil -

Thank you, both, for taking the time to listen to the music and for sharing your comments.

I'm getting some nice feedback from my family and friends with regards to this 2008 Christmas CD. But also included on this holiday CD is a song track of my wife singing a lovely piece titled, "Christmas Box". This song is from the Off-Broadway musical comedy, "Nun Crackers". (Of course the orchestration/instrumentation to "Christmas Box" is mostly from GPO and JABB.) My family and friends REALLY LIKED the song!

Happy New Year to you and your families!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thumbs up Re: "The Dessert" - 4th and final piece to Musical Sweets

What beautiful harmonies to welcome the new year with, Ted!

Also a perfect finale for your orchestral suite, with mild and well balanced orchestration that radiates optimism!
    I recognize your style throughout the 4 movements!

Good job!

Yes! This was surely a dessert for the ears!

Fred

Hi Ted,

This was absolutely beautiful ... I really enjoyed the way you manipulated the density, intensity, and dynamics. I was swept up into it! Those little pauses were icing on the cake, so to speak. Very, very nice.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Frank

Pardon me, I just came back for a second helping. Still just as good! John

This has a very nice sound and feel to it. Well done
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

That's delightful, Mr. Theodore...nicely orchestrated! You painted an ear-pleasing aural picture. Enjoyed listening.

You are quite a musical nurse. Keep up the fine work.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

The "ICING" on the cake, Ted.

Very well done. The melody, harmonic structure, orchestration,
    and arrangement combine for a "tasty" musical adventure.

Really like this one as well. The predecessors are great, but
    I think you saved the "best" for last..............lol

BRAVO, Ted

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast