• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to make the strings sound up close and personal?

Share/Bookmark

How to make the strings sound up close and personal?

Okay, I've noticed that some are able to take the solo string instruments and make them sound like you're sitting right next to the performer. Here's an example of the sound I mean:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64294

So, how is it accomplished? Can you give a guy a hint or four on how that kind of sound is produced?

Thanks.

Re: How to make the strings sound up close and personal?

Hi, Hong Kong - I think you could ask Big Ears himself on that thread what he did for that recording. A big ingredient is that he used The Strad and The Gofriller solo instruments which are much more complex and natural sounding than the simpler samples in GPO.

But from listening I'd have to say that he used a very small room for his reverb and added it very sparingly--if he used any at all.

We're very accustomed to hearing signals very "wet" in recordings, simulating concert halls. Take away the reverb, and you're left with that "next to the musicians" effect, since reverb is simulating distance from instruments coupled with various sizes of venues.

Randy B.

Hi, I was surprised when I followed the link in your post and it popped up with my recent song. Randy is right on the mark with his comments. The Garritan Stradivari and Gofriller cello (which I'm pretty sure are no longer available) have a lot to do with the way the piece sounded. Every note has to be "massaged" with CC# envelopes that subtly change the vibrato and the timbre of the instrument.
    Also, although I did use some reverb, Randy is right in that I had chosen a small wooden room to stage the instruments, and then I pulled them right up to the "edge if the stage" so to speak. I hope this helps explain a bit, I am just a pilgrim on the path to understanding the ins and outs of the software myself. John

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right, the strings are no longer available... which is a major bummer, as we used to say in elementary school.

I figured a small room with little reverb, that's logical. But can you give me an idea of which CC#'s you had to adjust? I tried adjusting CC#16 to both min and max with a violin solo I have, but it didn't seem to change much of anything. If you could give me some idea of what you had to play with, I can do some tinkering.

Thanks, in advance.

Hi again, If you are using GPO, I believe the mod wheel or cc#1 will control the volume and timbre. The sustain pedal or cc 64 switches the notes to a legato mode. Portamento is controlled by cc 20 and 21 (length). I think controller is set for Var 1 (intonation) and cc23 is Var 2 (timbre). If your keyboard controller has aftertouch, it will controll the vibrato intensity and cc 17 will control the vibrato speed.
    Everyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on these controllers.
    I hope this will help get you started. John

Hello again, Hong Kong - Very cool that Big Ears saw your thread and confirmed the use of a small room at a low percentage in his great recording.

See, adding or taking away the amounts of reverb moves an ensemble back and forth in relation to the listener. The size of the room will still be noticed even when the reverb is added sparingly. But that's a pretty easy process that gets you instantly better results than trying to use instruments totally devoid of reverb--because in real life we Always hear reverb added to sound, even in our living rooms.

Hmmm, you're talking about solo strings in GPO? Their volume (and accompanying timbre change) is controlled with cc#1. That's the main ingredient to achieving realism. Take a listen to any good recording and the main characteristic of the live musicians is that they are constantly varying the volume level of their instruments. Strings are extremely expressive, often swooping from barely audible to a full, loud sound in a matter of a second--and that's what they continuously do throughout an entire performance.

So, to use our virtual versions of the instruments, you Must must must play the volume to emulate the real-life counterparts. Easiest method for doing that is via the mod wheel of a keyboard, but when you use some sensitivity, you can also draw that up and down cc1 data in a Piano Roll View of a sequencer. This is the kind of editing done on top of the basic note data, no need to record the mod wheel in real time unless you can manage it.

The manuals (PDF file in your instrument folders) list other controllers to use, but cc1 for GPO, JABB and CMB is the essential controller that you can't live without.

Randy B.

Thank you both for your replies, you've given me something to ponder. I will tinker with it this weekend to see if I can accomplish something.

The more I learn about rendering music using GPO, the more I find there is to learn. I don't know if this learning curve is never-ending, but it certainly is steep.

Thanks again, guys.

Hi Hong Kong, Just in case you haven't seen this, here is the page where you can find tutorials for using GPO in various sequencing and notation programs. Hope this will help you and anyone seeking more info. John

http://www.garritan.com/tips_tutorials.html

While this post from Hannes is specific to using the Strad, I thought that it might help illustrate the steps involved in polishing a track to achieve a realistic and live sound.
    If you listen to each example he has shared and check out the midi file, it should be illuminating for you. John

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=58465

Hi all,

I would appreciate your comment, regarding realistic

(harsh) comments welcome
    http://www.4shared.com/file/80954132...8f7/Strad.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/80956118...e0/Calcum.html

Thanks
    gs
    Last edited by gsalvadi; 01-16-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: adding a file
    Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Go Back to forum