• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Going Home

Share/Bookmark

Going Home

This is a short tune based on traditional spirituals.

G. Steinway- GPO - Philharmonic- ST2

Going Home

http://www.box.net/shared/drgc2byzhv

Re: Going Home

Phil -

This is lovely! I see that you used a variety of instrumental libraries to achieve a great sound! I'm finding that using a mix of sound libraries like "GAS", "GPO", "JABB" and a few others helps create a nice sounding rendering.

Nice work. . . and a very nice listen as 2008 comes to a close.

Happy New Year, Phil!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hi, I really enjoy these sonorous, simple old melodies. You have done a nice job with this, having the piano "sing" the central melody and keeping things fairly plain. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year! John

Ted

This is lovely! I see that you used a variety of instrumental libraries to achieve a great sound! I'm finding that using a mix of sound libraries like "GAS", "GPO", "JABB" and a few others helps create a nice sounding rendering.
    Yes, you do usually get a more interesting sound using different libraries.

Thanks for the nice comments Ted.

John

Hi, I really enjoy these sonorous, simple old melodies. You have done a nice job with this, having the piano "sing" the central melody and keeping things fairly plain. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year! John
    It was just going to be a piano tune but I decided to add some instruments and I wanted to retain the simple rural feel.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Phil

Phil

I have listened to this a number of times since you posted it. The music is well done and rendered nicely. But what gets me is something I rarely say but feel it should be said.

I know that you go out of your way to listen to as much as possible here and always have good constructive advice when needed and praise the pieces that you enjoy. The part that gets me is the fact of how few return the favor. I guess good manners are just not taught like they used to be.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I have listened to this a number of times since you posted it. The music is well done and rendered nicely.
    I'm happy you have enjoyed it Ron. I think it has a peaceful message.

But what gets me is something I rarely say but feel it should be said.
    Well, I guess I should have been a minister.

Phil,

You capture the style perfectly - it has that Amazing Grace/Swing Low feel to it. It reminds of how Dvorak created a "spiritual" in the second mvt of the New World Symphony; it felt like a pre-existing song, but was in fact his own creation. This could be the same. If you told me it was an old gospel tune, I'd believe it. Pretty convincing!

Happy New Year.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Beautiful work here. I listened to it before I read your description so I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. This was extremely soulful and you had very nice Amazing Grace quotes. You were able to make it into a piece in and of itself. I sort of imagined a movie scene where a gospel choir was singing Amazing Grace then it sort of faded into your piece - original but with heavy quotes on Amazing Grace.

What is "GAS" if you don't mind me asking?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Ron Pearl

You capture the style perfectly - it has that Amazing Grace/Swing Low feel to it. It reminds of how Dvorak created a "spiritual" in the second mvt of the New World Symphony; it felt like a pre-existing song, but was in fact his own creation. This could be the same. If you told me it was an old gospel tune, I'd believe it. Pretty convincing!
    You're correct that I borrowed elements from both of those songs. It wants to go into Amazing Grace at one point but I steer it back to my original melody. It's fun to take parts of songs and come up with something new but also very familiar.

Thanks for the informative comments.

Keith

beautiful work here. I listened to it before I read your description so I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. This was extremely soulful and you had very nice Amazing Grace quotes. You were able to make it into a piece in and of itself. I sort of imagined a movie scene where a gospel choir was singing Amazing Grace then it sort of faded into your piece - original but with heavy quotes on Amazing Grace.
    I'm glad you appreciated what I was trying to accomplish. I also had a similar choir image when I was working on it.

What is "GAS" if you don't mind me asking?
    I think that is Garritan Authorized Steinway.

Phil

Post Re: Going Home

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    This is a short tune based on traditional spirituals.

G. Steinway- GPO - Philharmonic- ST2

Going Home

http://www.box.net/shared/drgc2byzhv
    I agree with Ted, this is superb! This is really expressing a feeling that is you!
    Correct me if I'm wrong!

By the way, where is home? Just wondering?

Like Edvard Grieg and David Sosnowski, I believe in short and convincing arr.

Fred

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast