• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with percussion

Help with percussion

Hi everyone,
    For any percussionists (or those knowledable in percussion), I need a bit of help.

I'm writing a piece with a conga part, and have drastically underestimated the wide range of varied sounds of which this drum is capbable.

I need to know the difference between the basic tones: an "open" tone, a "slap" tone and a "bass" tone, and when/how each of these are used. (specifically whether the bass or slap is more commonly used as an "upbeat" gesture if that makes sense).

Furthermore, I could use some advice on how to notate these different strikes, as my own research into this has yeilded only confusing results.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, and would really get me out of a jam.

Thanks in advance,

Central Illinois

Re: Help with percussion

Re: Help with percussion

I am not a percussion expert of any kind, nor am I the most knowledgable guy when it comes to MIDI music. However, when I needed to know how to lay down a good rock beat, I downloaded a good number of midi drum parts and took them apart, listening to them and learning how to produce the sounds I needed... and thus learning how to put my own together. It seems to have worked pretty well.

So I did an internet search, and came up with a few sites that may help you do something similar.

I'm assuming you don't want to go the trouble to actually watch a video aimed at teaching how to play the conga drums, but in case I'm wrong:

Go Back to forum