• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: odd volume thing

Share/Bookmark

odd volume thing

Hey guys,
    Did a search on this, but I couldn't find anything so.. So I have an m-audio keystation controller, and I'm a bit perplexed (I'm new to it all). When I load an instrument, I'll get a nice good volume if I just test it on the on-screen keyboard. But depending on which instrument I try, I get varying degress of unsatisfactory volume if I play those same notes from the m-audio controller. Even when I've got my soundcard up on high, I crank up the onscreen volume, and the volume on the m-audio, something like percussion, while it's loud and crisp and clear when I press a key down on the screen, is practically inaudiable.. I'm worried actually that it's my keyboard that's the problem, because the volume slide doesn't make any kind of difference even on the audiable instruments. And if it was faulty when I bought it a couple of months ago, but I haven't noticed until now when I've managed to get it all working, I bet a refund won't be so easy (I maybe I have a warrenty? hrmm..). However - am I overlooking anything? Is there anything I can do in garritan to get that same volume I get on the screen through my midi controller?

Re: odd volume thing

Hi, Just in case.....are you turning up the mod wheel on your keyboard?

Well I've tried it out but while it makes a little difference in something like an oboe (which I hear alright anyway), it does nothing for percussion. Percussion is the most difficult to hear, but the pianos are a lot lower than onscreen too..

Actually, I change my mind - I don't think the volume slide is broken, because while it doesn't make a difference to the volume that comes through to me, I see the little midi symbol on screen (midi channel) light up when I touch it, so it's there, it's not totally dead.

I don't know - I mean sure there's a bit of resistance to my keys (it's a semi-weighted), but even if I really bang my finger down it's not doing much.

Any ideas?

Hi again, GPO has CC1 mapped to the Mod Wheel, which controls the volume and dynamics. It won't matter if any other volume control (i.e. slider) is turned up. You have to use the mod wheel or another controller on your particular keyboard that is set to control CC1.

If you are using Garritan libraries you will need to read the manuals as the CC's are different form the standard midi values. You should be able to set the controls on the keyboard to the CC's that you need.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Does your keyboard have an active velocity curve setting, that downscales the velocity? I read your posts as if this problem primarily affects percussive instruments, incl. piano, which are velocity controlled rather than CC controlled.

Well, I had a long reply with many a theories and questions all typed up, having read manuals, tried to reassign volume somewhere other than the volume slider (so I leared how to assign things - something positive), and then.. It was just the most ridiculous thing. I didn't know turning the knob on my soundcard which said "output" could possible have anything to do with volume. I thought just the knob that said volume had that.. It was just one of those sudden ideas..
    *shame*

Oh well.. It was weird though, not getting the low sound from the on-screen keys too then.. They must be *really loud now (daren't try).

Well, thanks so much for being helpful anyway. .. I think I'm slowly learning.. Applaud the fool

Mind though, the volume slider on my keyboard seems to do absolutely nothing other than send some kind of unidentified midi signal. That's a bit silly methinks..

Interesting to read through the thread and see how things were getting worked out.

Huey, in your newest post here you said the volume slider on your keyboard was sending out an "unidentified" MIDI controller - It's sending out standard CC7, which in the vast majority of MIDI instruments, is what controls volume.

As per what you've learned on this thread, that slider isn't effecting your Garritan volumes since these instruments use CC1 for volume, and the percussion instruments (Piano included) are controlled only by key velocity (how hard you hit the keys).

Get yourself some basic MIDI info (tons available online) as well as dig into the Garritan manuals. Things will become much less confusing.

Have fun with it all!
    Randy B.

Go Back to forum