• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another New Piano

Another New Piano

Hello All:

I had nothing better to do so I did a yahoo search for best piano Vsti, and came across this surprisingly good sounding piano. I think this would be a good comparison to pianoteq and Truepiano but a lot cheaper. I am out of town currently, can't wait to get back and try the trial version for myself.

I recently purchased the A-pian from Acousticsamples (based on Jake Johnson's post, Thanks Jake) and wow what a great sounding piano. I am hoping this would also be another gold mine.

Wishing everyone at NS a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Re: Another New Piano

heh, interesting. Can't really tell with the bad reverb, but it does seem to hold its own. It's always hard to tell with demos because at the end of the day, you only "feel" it when you actually play the thing.

Guess I should try the demo.

I hope that piano is as good as it sounded in the demos. I wish that there was still a way to post recordings here at Northern Sounds. I'd like to hear what you're doing with it.

Ojai, California

I've tried it. Perhaps it's a good deal for the money.

Jim McCarthy

I tried it, the samples are okay, but the release is too long! And unfortunately the plugin doesn't allow you to tweak it. Wow, what can you play with such a long tail.. certainly not jazz.

On the other hand, velocity switching is surprisingly good. It's quite consistent throughout the entire range. Consistency may even be better than sampletekk stuff. (sampletekk imho has good character, but very inconsistent)

I wonder what sort of technology it's using in the back end. It's probably not 88 note sampled at multiple velocities, that's for sure..

You might write the developer about the release problems. He seems open to suggestions and productive criticism. (But I thought it was a Kontakt instrument. Can't you control the release in Kontakt?)

Hello all:

I finally got a chance to get back and try it for myself. I was quite impressed with the "Gnossie" demo.

Hi Jake, its not kontakt based, its more like pianotek or trupiano, an independent application. you can download and try it for yourself, it has a 15day free trial period.

Yes Kensuguro, the reverb is not great, I would shut that down and only run it through high end reverb, for example I use Gigapulse VST. You may be able to use pianoverb on an auxilary FX channel as well and get some overtones, etc. Yes the sound itself is not very tweakable.

Hi runamuck, its looks like a really good deal, especially compared to other similar products.

Here is what I've notices based on my initial impressions. Playability is great. The tone is quite good but the sympathetic resonance is not quite there yet. The larger sample libraries may still have some advantage is raw tone quality. Note to note velocity is quite consistent but I think it would need a bit more timbre change. Still needs more pianoistic characteristic. I personally like the tone of this better than Truepiano and far better than pianotek. But pianotek has better sympathetic resonance features. All in all It seems like a great product. Hope they really improve on some of the other features. I think I will probably be getting this once the 15 day period expires.

Sorry--I was confusing this piano with the RealSamples library for Kontakt, which was released about the same time. Losing track of the universe...

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
    I've tried it. Perhaps it's a good deal for the money.

Jim McCarthy
    I would agree - for the price, it's not too bad at all.

I have only tried playing a few Chopin midis that I obtained from various sites, and will give it a try on the keyboard.

My impressions to date:

1. The bass isn't crisp, but rather "thumpy" and a bit muddy, much like many of the uprights built in the 1920's and 1930's (when uprights were in their "heyday" in North America). Certainly not its strong point, but compared to samples it actually holds its own - my biggest complaint about samples is the lack of clarity in the bass.

2. From about an octave above middle C, it's not too bad at all, although I thought there wasn't enough sustain (this was with the dampers up - easy enough to tell by watching the damper pedal go down). Edit - I tried it on the keyboard, and a staccato is virtually impossible - read comments by previous poster on this - I agree.

3. In the middle register it sounds hollow to me (not enough overtones being generated?).

4. Compared to the many demos I've listened to that were sample based, I think it's better than many, and as good as some of the supposedly better ones. For something at this price point, that's almost a miracle.

5. If I had seen this first and not heard Pianoteq, I may well have purchased it because of the price alone. On second thought, it's perhaps a bit better than the onboard sound of my Roland KR7 in some respects, but overall no improvement.

6. If I had to start over, I'd take Pianoteq in a flash even though it's much more costly. Some observers have said PT is "thin". If by thin, they mean you can actually hear the separate notes when a number of notes are being played with the dampers up, then it's guilty. I suspect that many that have judged it thin are accustomed to old uprights. When I first played a Bosendofer (after years of uprights), I was amazed at how one could actually hear individual notes when many were sounding.

7. As noted above, the sympathetic resonance is weak. This is a very difficult feature of a real piano to emulate and it takes very complex algorithms to achieve. At this price having good SR would be another miracle.

The old saying is true - you get what you pay for - piano simulation is a becoming a very competitive market, and there are no obvious choices if one considers price in the equation. I've been playing for over sixty years now, and have heard and played a "few" pianos.

This new Pianissimo would compete with some of the older uprights I grew up with, but definitely not a good grand piano (Steinway, Bosie, Yamaha), but it would be better than my first digital, a 1990 Technics.

Go Back to forum