• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: karen's Carol of the Bells arrangment performed by Lassiter High School Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

karen's Carol of the Bells arrangment performed by Lassiter High School Orchestra

This is one of the performances of some of my pieces this season. Feels good, and wanted to share it with you. This was performed at a publisher's conference, and despite a few little issues here and there, I feel quite pleased!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQTYyqIkko

And O Come Emmanuel by the Austin Youth Symphony Orchestra (starts at about 5:47):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyF_zwnNci8

Re: karen's Carol of the Bells arrangment performed by Lassiter High School Orchestra

Karen,

Nice! Those kids played with a lot of spirit and conviction, and made your work come across very well. They clearly spent a lot of time with this - a sign that the director understood the quality of the piece. Really nice work - and I mean you!

Are they an arts high school? Pretty impressive for a "regular" high school.

Thanks for sharing this!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: karen's Carol of the Bells arrangment performed by Lassiter High School Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Karen,

Nice! Those kids played with a lot of spirit and conviction, and made your work come across very well. They clearly spent a lot of time with this - a sign that the director understood the quality of the piece. Really nice work - and I mean you!

Are they an arts high school? Pretty impressive for a "regular" high school.

Thanks for sharing this!
    Thanks, Ron -- The Lassiter orchestra is a "regular" high school orchestra, as far as I know, but one of the better ones, This performance was at a music publisher's conference.

The Austin group, I assume, is a group auditioned from all the kids in Austin. There were a few difficulties, but overall I am pleased. (This is my first does of the "real world" performing some of my music...)

Happy New Year Ron!

Best,
    Karen

Cool! Congratulations Karen on both of these works. I enjoyed hearing these although the youtube player for the Austin group wasn't behaving well on my system. Audio was pretty bad and the sync was off.
    This must feel great, take a bow! All the best to you for the New Year! John

I also thought the symphonic players, although at the
    H.S. level, did a great job of bringing your musical
    arrangements to life. That's what is so satisfying about
    composing for any group.......to let others hear what
    your conception of a well-known composition is all about.

I noticed that you are offering your published scores for
    sale. I hope that you are doing well, Karen, but if you
    let your interested audience see just a couple of pages
    in .pdf form, it may help sales. Some companies do that
    for their composers just like "how-to" book companies
    advertise their inventory.

Great job, Karen

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Jack,

I do let people peruse (usually) the entire score of my self-published works on my lulu site (site recommended by Dave Sosnowski). These two pieces were published by BRS music and I am not sure what he does regarding perusing sample scores, but you can check it out at his website at www.brsmusic.net.

Doing well? Haven't made a penny on any of my music so far. But I do enjoy it.

Thanks for the kind words. No matter how good, it is a bit shocking to hear a performance of ones piece.... after listening to the digital rendering for so long!

Happy New Year!

Karen

These young musicians sounded very good and your arrangements were great.

I imagine finally hearing and seeing your music being performed is like going from virtual reality to the real world. A part of you is in your music and now it has been allowed to shine. It must be a very exciting for you and maybe also kind of weird in a nice sense.

I'm very happy for you!

Phil

Karen -

Carol of the Bells took me back a bit before I heard it . . . I think there was an unconscious filter operating that made me want to hear a "cheerful" sound. Within a few moments, though, I was drawn into it - into another time, another hearing-space. It's a wonderful arrangement! You've managed to "make new" out of a time worn melody. It goes without saying that this young orchestra heard what you wrote.

Emmanuel - another time worn melody - seemed well interpreted, despite the sound quality of the YouTube rendering. I'd like to hear this again at a better resolution - I'll keep my eyes open for that!

Thank you much and many for sharing these with us.

Joe

Thanks, all.

I have to admit, it's a little nerve-wracking letting a piece "out" after hearing it rendered with the digital "players" who never have intonation issues, never miss an entrance and so on. But I am pleased at these performances, and it is also my introduction to "the real world". I'm a "performance virgin", what can I say?

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.

Best,
    Karen

Congratulations, Karen!

Wishing you many more live performances
    of your creations!

Yudit

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast