• Register
  • Help

Topic: Switching to pizz in a Finale score - advice?

Share/Bookmark

Switching to pizz in a Finale score - advice?

I am working on a song from my musical Rivertown called "Dirty Business" - about a slave catcher who has no scruples, just loves the money he make at this dirty business.

I am using 2 violins in the pit orchestra.
    Normally all I am using is the standard Finale version of Garritan sounds - I have the full GPO as well though. I have those two staves set to violin player 1 and 2.

In this piece I want to be able to switch back and forth to the full GPO in order to use one of the Pizzicato violins. I read in the Finale manual about assigning different sounds - articulations - to layers. I went to the instrument list to do that, but whenever I change a channel in layer 2, it changes the channel in all 4 layers.

What am I doing wrong besides missing something very obvious?
    I could live without it I guess, mark the score with pizz. for the players, then handle it by hand when I make demo tracks in Digital Performer, but I know this can be done. I would like to hear the changes as I am composing in Finale.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Charles
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Switching to pizz in a Finale score - advice?

Hi, Charles,

Each instrument definition in Finale has a specific channel assigned to it. You need to define a new instrument with the correct MIDI channel and assign it to that layer.

Simple, but confounding if you don't know the secret.

Good luck with that music, and don't forget to post the tracks for us all to listen to in the listening room!

Thanks - went back and realized that there was a place where I did not specify the new channel. It is working now - yeah!
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Hey, Charles...

I just had lunch with Raweber...do what he says!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

yes, sir!!!!!!

Go Back to forum