• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO Platinum for Chamber Music?

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO Platinum for Chamber Music?

Hello there

I've got some money to invest in an orchestral library. As title says, it would be used mostly for classical chamber music. I was thinking about EWQLSO or a VSL library. VSL seems to be more appropriate for chamber music, but with my students discount i could get the EWQLSO Platinum for around 900$ which offers compared to the VSL SE much more articulations and instruments.

Should i get the Platinum or is it impossible to get some intimate, lyrical chamber music with this? Would be nice to hear some demos. On their page theres just two short string quartet demos, but i would like to hear the winds as well in a small non-hollywood setting.

Would it be wasted money for my purpose to invest in EWQL? Which VSL library could do instead? Missing dynamic samples in VSL SE and the high expansion costs detain me from that library. Are there alternatives? Thanks for any help and please excuse the long thread

Re: EWQLSO Platinum for Chamber Music?

I have EWQL Gold, which has all of the articulations that platinum has (only difference is the 2 extra mic positions.) I aso own VSL SE + the extended library. These two packages are on sale until the 15th and provide you with some fantastic sounds. I loved my Gold library and still use it for some stuff. But you cannot beat VSL for orchestral music, especially chamber stuff. The chamber strings (part of the extended SE package) sound lovely and you can add as much or little reverb as you want.(with an external plugin) The woodwinds are great and the real legato samples, for the majority of the instruments, are not present in the EW stuff. The VSL solo strings also beat out the offerings from EW IMHO.

It has been argued that you cannot get the "Hollywood" sound out of VSL but with their newer libs like Appasionata strings and Epic horns (a few articulations of each of these are included in the VSL SE extended lib) they put that argument to rest.

Again, you need to buy the VSL SE + VSL SE Extended to get the full boat of instruments and articulations. (VSL SE alone has no chamber strings.) I think the price for both is less than $900.00.

I got a lot of milage out of my EW products, as I could never afford the VSL stuff. With the addition of the SE packages I am a happy VSL user.

I hope some of this helps! Good luck with your decision.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

VSL SE would definitely be the better library for chamber music. As mentioned above, you'll need to also get the extended add-on. Not sure if the VSL libraries are still on sale.

Jim

What exactly do you mean with chamber music? String quartet or woodwind ensemble, or even chamber orchestra? Depending on that the recommendation would be quite different.

If you mean string quartet and the like you would be far better off with a solo strings library than with an orchestral library. Look for VSL solo strings, Kirk Hunter solo strings, XSample solo strings or Dan Dean solo strings (I don't know the last one but they are mentioned often).
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post

If you mean string quartet and the like you would be far better off with a solo strings library than with an orchestral library. Look for VSL solo strings, Kirk Hunter solo strings, XSample solo strings or Dan Dean solo strings (I don't know the last one but they are mentioned often).
    What about VSL chamber strings?

http://www.strings-on-demand.com/ I like that!

EWQLSO is NOT suitable for that genre.
    You would be best served by starting with the Vienna special edition.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

So it looks like EWQLSO doesn't suit my needs. What a pitty, a complete top class sample library for less than 1000$ is a very tempting offer. Oh my. But then again, if i can't do smaller ensembles with it, i wouldn't need it. Has anybody heard an EWQL demo for smaller Ensemble with only the close mic position? The VSL SE Extended and the SE Plus Extended will cost 1600$ even on the January discount.

I'd like to do all kinds of chamber music like string quartet, piano duo, trio, quartet and so on. The piano samples are no matter of concern, though. Occasionally it might even be some orchestral pieces, but not the big hollywoodesque style but rather a smaller classical, not even romantical one. Has anybody tested the Xsample Chamber Ensemble? Can it come close to VSL?

Yet another option would be the single instrument downloads from VSL. Are these the complete instruments (Cube + Performance set) or are samples missing? Thanks for your advices

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001 View Post
    What about VSL chamber strings?
    VSL chamber strings is being highly praised for chamber orchestra or to be layered with other strings since it has a nice small section sound and many articulations (I don't have it but that is what owners say).

However I was talking about solo strings for string quartet and the like, and the VSL chamber strings don't have any. Compared to that even EWQLSO platinum plus has more.

This is the articulations list of EWQLSO platinum plus solo violin:
    Long notes:
    Expressive 1
    Expressive 2
    Expressive Crescendo
    Expressive Piano
    Legato Vibrato
    Legato Vibrato Hard
    Non Vibrato Soft
    QLegato Exp Piano
    QLegato Exp Roundrobin
    QLegato
    Sustain Vibrato Hard
    Sustain Vibrato Soft

Short notes:
    Col Legno RR
    Col Legno
    Marcato Non Vibrato Hard
    Marcato Vibrato
    Martele Up Down bow
    Martele Up Down RR x6
    Pizzicato RR
    Pizz
    Repetitions
    Staccato RR x4
    Staccato RR

plus Effects and ModWheel shaped long notes.

A quite impressive list I would say. Still it does not have real legato unfortunately in my Kontakt version, and I don't know whether the new PLAY technology already can provide this.

If you plan to work from notation a lot then your best choice probably would be the XSample solo strings. For demos look here:

http://www.xsample.de

First, they come with a lot of articulations, secondly they come with patches that are already suited for Sibelius and Finale and already sound quite good when played from notation. And third, probably most important, they are recorded and edited to be very consistent if you change between articulations.

You could consider VSL single instrument downloads for the winds as you need them.

With both you would need a good reverb, preferably a convolution reverb. Look for Altiverb, SIR, SIR2, Pristine Space, ConvoBoy, Wizooverb if you still can get it, just to name a few.

So i'm gonna test the Xsample library on try-sound and then decide whether to get that or some single instrument downloads (woodwinds, french horn) from VSL on top of the VSL Chamber Strings. Too bad about EWQL.
    Would be nice to have a complete articulations list of VSL the single instruments. I'm curious if the much cheaper Xsample library can get close to VSL.

Go Back to forum