• Register
  • Help

Topic: Clara Schumann's piano Concerto in A Minor

Clara Schumann's piano Concerto in A Minor

Hi everyone, it is with great pleasure that I introduce you to a very fine concert pianist, Frederick Moyer.

I worked with Fred on this Clara Schumann Concerto in A Minor, and it is finally finished and released on Fred's label JRI recordings.

Please visit his website and purchase some beautiful music created with Garritan Instruments, and listen to Fred playing a real Steinway Grand piano along with a Garritan Midi Orchestra.

Here is the information in Fred's words,
    and a snippet demo of some of the Schumann Concerto...

Dear Friends:

I am writing to let you know about two new CD releases, fruits of a nine-month “sabbatical” from performing that I took in 2007. Each recording has been fascinating to put together and each in its own way expands the boundaries of classical music.

Thank you for your continued support over the years. I wish you all the best for a wonderful holiday season and a happy healthy 2009.

Tribute: Jazz Arts Trio

Frederick Moyer, Piano
    Peter Tillotson, Bass
    Peter Fraenkel, Drums

Edward Macdowell & Clara Schumann: Two Piano Concerti

Edward MacDowell: Piano Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 23
    Frederick Moyer, Pianist
    The Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra (Plovdiv, Bulgaria)
    Nayden Todorov, Conductor
    Clara Schumann: Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 7
    Frederick Moyer, Pianist
    Midi orchestra created by Dan Kury
    William Rounds, Solo Cellist

Features two works for piano and orchestra, brilliantly written for the soloist by two of the most prominent pianists of the 19th century. Many consider Edward MacDowell's Concerto No. 2 to be the finest piano concerto by an American during the Romantic era, and Clara Schumann's Piano Concerto in A Minor the finest piano concerto by a female composer during the same period. This recording is unique in that it utilizes two experimental approaches to creating a concerto recording. In the MacDowell Concerto, the orchestra was recorded alone and the piano part added later. In the Clara Schumann Concerto, the orchestra was created by talented midi artist Dan Kury using a midi keyboard, two computers and sampled sounds. The results in both pieces are stunningly beautiful and realistic.

Central Illinois

Re: Clara Schumann's piano Concerto in A Minor

All right Dan! Good for you, I wish you and Frederick Moyer success with this endeavor! I have always had great affinity for Robert and Clara Schumann's music. Years ago I read a biography about Clara. There is an interesting story in their lives and their relationships with Johannes Brahms.
    Thanks for sharing the links. I want to hear what you have done with your orchestration. John

thank you John, it was a ton, and I mean a ton of work, but worth it.

What a gorgeous piece of music Clara and Robert made together.

I have only heard stories about Clara Schumann and Brahms, I heard that Brahm's was madly in love with Clara, but even after Robert's horribly sad and untimely death, she remained true to her husband.. is that correct?

Thanks for the nice post, the CD is a great listen.

Fred did some awesome writing in the CD booklet about the process of using
    the Garritan Orchestra sounds. He eloguently addressed the dilema of midi verses real musicians, he also talks about computers and how they are here to stay, and that they can be instrumental tools in encouraging young people to "get into" classical music.

This was all Garritan, GOS strings, and GPO everything else.
    Fred plays his uncles real Steinway Concert grand in an apartment in New York City.
    Thank Heavens for Altiverb, the piano is in the same space as the orchestra.

Central Illinois

Dan, If my memory serves me, (getting to be in doubt, at times) Clara did indeed remain faithful to Robert Schumann both during his life and steadfast to his memory after his death. (imagine that)
    What I remember from my reading is that the Schumann couple welcomed the young Brahms into their circle and household, where he fell in love with Clara.
    And later, after Roberts death, when Clara had to support her family, he was helpful in many ways in assisting her return to composing, performing and traveling. I believe they both lived long lives as well.
    There have been a couple of movies about the Schumanns, but whether their stories were true to life is doubtful.

I can only imagine how much work went into what you have accomplished with your GOS and GPO libraries, Dan. I will be awaiting a copy of the CD and anxious to hear your work. John

thank you John!

post your review here if you like, that would be fun !

Yep, I've met Fredrick and he's a cool, down to earth dude. He did a masterclass at my school a few years ago (Kilgore College).
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves

Hi Craig, good to see you,,,

I hope you can get the CD, it's cool.

Go Back to forum