• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cutting down number of instruments

Share/Bookmark

Cutting down number of instruments

When I started working with GPO and I am still doing it, I always thought that when you needed a chord of e.g. clarinets, you ought to assign for each voice a different instrument as all "wind" instruments are monophonic.

But tonight I discovered (rather late I think) that you can assign in the KP2 player the number of voices, even for those monophonic instruments and that they play chords. That is nice for cutting down the number of instruments needed in any Sonar/Overture setup.

But what then is the use for having player1, player2 etc. in the instruments lists/-tables as I can fake multiple players using just one instrument, but with a higher number of voices?

Raymond

Re: Cutting down number of instruments

Raymond--?!---I thought you changed your name to "Notecracker"----?

"...But what then is the use for having player1, player2 etc. in the instruments lists/-tables as I can fake multiple players using just one instrument, but with a higher number of voices?..."

The use is to achieve higher quality recordings/renderings.

You're right that you discovered it rather late that you can change the number of voices for a sample inside Kontakt. This could be done with the original KP1 version, so it's always been possible to do with GPO.

But when you do that, you're throwing out one of the best parts of the Garritan instrument programming. Changing what is meant to be a monophonic Clarinet to a polyphonic version is reducing the sample to the basic way all Sound Fonts and synths in general work.

To get the most realistic simulations of orchestras in your recordings, you should still be using GPO as it was designed. Using your Clarinet example again, each of those different "players" have a different sound. Assigning each one a separate line simulates what happens in a real orchestra setting, while playing only one sound in a pianistic one-hand-chord way dials back progress to when people were always doing that sort of thing on keyboards. It can sound OK, but will lack the authenticity possible otherwise.

For a quick way of getting an idea of what your notation sounds like, this could be OK, but I would strongly suggest you don't do this for recordings.

Randy B.

The NoteCracker died in peace. It is Raymond62 again.
    When I set the maximum number of voices to 1, will it save memory, because I am still having trouble with Overture?

Raymond

AH--I see, Notecracker has already come and gone! Well it's easier for us to know who you are now, with your good ol user's name, Raymond.

Will leaving the instruments to the default of one voice save memory? Well, no, since you'd then need to load all the other accompanying instruments, as you've been doing in the past.

I don't know what the troubles are that you're having with Overture. I did notice recently that several members here are still using Overture and they said they're doing well with it. Hopefully they can give you some advice--You'll see their names in the General Discussion area on the "What Notation Program Comes with GPO?" thread.

Best of luck!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum