• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Omni distorting

Share/Bookmark

Omni distorting

Hi..I'm starting to have a problem with auditioning sounds in Omni..There are quite a few sounds with small MB's and yet even if I load the sound from disc there is just an incredible amount of distortion..I mute all mods etc but still it seems to be getting worse..

Anyone else having similar problems ?? I'm on a mac book pro 2.1 ghz 2 gig ram..Working in Logic P8..Tiger OS..Streaming via usb from an external drive..But even as I mentioned..Loading the patch to my internal disc all is buzzy an distorted..If I load the next patch then reload the previous one it works for a while but not the way I would imagine it is supposed to..

I don't remeber the patches but it has been the case of late that at anytime it happens..JON

Re: Omni distorting

i get similar results (and not just with Omni, Motu Ethno, RMX, EXS) - but has always been a buffer issue..

I need to reset the buffer in Live. I open pref-> Audio -> buffer size. Then drag buffer value from whatever it is 512, or 2048 to 0 then back up again. Resets the buffer and audio plays without distortion/ glitch.

Works for me.. but this may not be your issue.
    Hope its a least a clue.
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Hi A..I don't think this is a buffer size issue..There seems to be other erratic behaviour poking its' head out of omni at present..Sometimes I use the shuffle thing and find a patch that I can never find again..Now that seems a bit buggy to me.. Oh well...JON

The purpose of shuffle is to present you with patches that you wouldn't normally encounter if you're always searching from the top of the list alphabetically. So, you _should_ see patches that are unfamiliar. But, it's the same list, containing the same patches, just with the order shuffled.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma View Post
    Hi A..I don't think this is a buffer size issue..There seems to be other erratic behaviour poking its' head out of omni at present..Sometimes I use the shuffle thing and find a patch that I can never find again..Now that seems a bit buggy to me.. Oh well...JON
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Hi..I understand shuffle..Duh..But if the patch is not avaiable when the shuffle is turned off..Well then were did it go ?? Gee it should be found under the "A"s...But yet not found at all...

So then here is a quwstion for Glenn...I had trouble with my initial install..You adviced to place a part of the instal on my internal drive that I had originally installed on my external..I was following what I thought were the instructions for instal I recieved with my software..So could that have anything to do with this Glenn ?? JON

The only explanation I can think of is perhaps a search string or attribute value is in use, filtering your list, thus hiding a patch you saw earlier. I'd recommend contacting tech support with the details and they'll help you out.

- Glenn

Hi.Glenn..Man I'm frustrated here..I searched the threads here for the thread were you helped me but can't find it..I know I installed some part of Omni on my ext disc..But then it wouldn't work in Logic..You said to instal just one part of it from the disc to my internal drive..I think we did that a couple times..

Yeah I don't get it..In shuffle I loaded a patch "Agressive ???" Which was all distorted..Then loaded it fully from the external disc..Removed mod.s but stil distorted..Loaded the nexe patch then reloaded it and it seemed to work..But something was still going on with it..I then checked the soundsource..I swear it was "Beams and Bulbs" ..

Now I can't find via Search either the patch or the soundsource..Maybe I did something with the install that is the problem.. Man I wish I could remember.. JON

Sorry to point out the obvious about the distortion but could that be due to the default volume in Omnisphere?
    I get distortions many times but that is because the default volume slider in Omnisphere that is set to 0dB distorts the sound. I don't know why they did that. At 0dB many of the patches are distorting meaning we can see the meters reaching the red and hear distortion.
    In short, lower the volume slider at the top right.

Maybe GlennO can answer about those meters reaching red at default volume.

Yes, I too often find that the output from Omnisphere is too hot. I turn down the master output level, and the distortion problem is solved. They do not seem to have left enough head room for some of the sounds / combinations of sounds.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Go Back to forum