• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: For those who write for live orchestra

Share/Bookmark

For those who write for live orchestra

Just wondering. I am going to pursue getting some of my work onto the stage this year. My goal is really just to do it. I think it would be the greatest thing to hear my work played professionally. My question is secondary to the main goal of getting my music performed but here it is. Should I expect payment for my pieces being played by our local Symphony? It really isnt why I want to do it but I guess I should know if this fair. I wouldnt want to "leave any money on the table if this were the case. Any input on this? Thanks.

Eric

Re: For those who write for live orchestra

It's up to you, but two regular income streams come from 1) renting the score/parts to the orchestra and 2) performance royalties from ASCAP or BMI. You'll have to join either organization and list your music with them and notify them of the performance.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

>>Should I expect payment for my pieces being played by our local Symphony?

Yes, if they want to perches or rent the score and parts.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Hmm, I sort of get what you guys are saying but I am also COMPLETELY inexperienced at the dealings of orchestras. Are you saying the rental of the actual score sheets? The paper with notes (for dummies like me). Lol. Will they tell me what they need in terms of the score sheets. I am assuming every section and soloists get thier own version of the score? Thanks so much for your help.

Eric

Eric,

You probably already know this but, you should provide a score for the conductor and parts for each instrumentalist in the ensemble. Finale and Sibelius do this quite well.

Peace

Rik Pfenninger

Right, well this is the stuff that I really need to know. Please dont assume that I know anything about this beacause I really dont. So, if I submit a score to the muscial supervisor/conductor in this case, and she actually wants to perform the piece, then will she let me know exactly how many copies of what versions of the score I need? WIll the written score sheets all be different for all the different parts. Like there will be a 1st violins score sheet and a cello score sheet and so on and so forth? I know this seems silly to many but I really dont know any of this stuff. Thanks so much for your help.

Eric

Eric,

Yes everyone will get a different part. I would suggest getting a copyist to work with who can take your complete score and create parts for everybody. If you submit something that does not look 100% professional, I doubt that you'll be taken seriously.

I would also be very surprised if you received any payment at all, aside from any ACAP or BMI royalties. Since you're pitching your work to them, their performance of your piece would actually be a favor to you, in building your reputation. Such performances could lead to other commisions which could result in more payments to you.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Eric,

Yes everyone will get a different part. I would suggest getting a copyist to work with who can take your complete score and create parts for everybody. If you submit something that does not look 100% professional, I doubt that you'll be taken seriously.

I would also be very surprised if you received any payment at all, aside from any ACAP or BMI royalties. Since you're pitching your work to them, their performance of your piece would actually be a favor to you, in building your reputation. Such performances could lead to other commisions which could result in more payments to you.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. Yes, I will definitely be having a copyist provide all the scores for me. That's way out of my league right now. Your comment on payment doesnt suprise me either. That is what I was wondering and I dont have any problem with that. I agree that I am the one who is benefitting from this the most. Thanks for your input.

Eric,

Since this is new territory for you, I might suggest another route. Community & high school orchestras.

There are a lot of student excellent orchestras around the midwest, many of which performed at the Midwest convention in December. They are usually very approachable if you mention that you have a new piece and inquire if they'd be willing to play thru it at a rehearsal.

From that point hopefully you can establish a rapport with the conductor, and with any luck, they would agree to premier the piece.

After you've established a reputation in this arena, I think you'd be in a much better situation when you approach professional orchestras.

Jeff

Right, well actually, it is a community orchestra. They only play in Springfield and Bloomington Illinois. It's the Illinois Symphony Orchestra. I have met the conductor a few times and she is very approachable. The worst that can happen I guess is that she would say no. I dont even know of any highschool orchestras around here. Thier pretty much all winds, brass, and precaussion. No string sections that I know of. Although there is also the Millikin Symphony orchestra (College). Maybe I'll check that out too. Thanks.

Go Back to forum